Chapter 1

Eerie silence crept up on the desert. The abandoned suburban area was a reminiscence of war. Structures with barely any support from previous bombings, shards of glass on the ground, and windows blown out. A dark ominous cloud appeared in the distance ready to devour every old, gutted building in it's path. The wind picked up but the heat continued to be exhausting.

The blazing heat shined down on me causing sweat to drip down my red face. I wiped the beads of sweat off of my forehead. I wasn't about to let the weather effect the mission. I've been camping out on a roof for three days waiting for my target to arrive. I laid on top of the loose jagged stone, almost twenty football fields away from the targets known location.

Through the binoculars, I could see multiple enemies with guns outside of the leaders hideout. In a second, there he was coming out of hibernation and revealing himself. My heart raced and the adrenaline kicked in. Now was my shot. I inhaled sharply.

I set up my sniper rifle letting the barrel fit perfectly in a crack of the wall. My shoulder molded against the rifle, I proceeded to look through the scope. The cross hairs in the scope lined up with the target. The rifle was perfect for Marine use and especially for what the mission was for. My mission was to kill one of the leaders from a terrorist organization. My breaths were timed well to execute the shot. It was my patience for hunt and the stillness of my finger on the trigger that gave me precision in my shots. I took one last breath.

A piercing sound broke the silence as I fired the rifle and a puff of red mist came from the leader's chest. The leader collapsed into one of his followers arms who quickly began to panic, dropping his lifeless body and fleeing from the scene.

I grabbed my radio and called in, "target eliminated."

The mission was completed meaning that the whole team could go back home. I continued to look out my scope searching for the target's accomplice. He runs into an alley way blocking my view. I get up to switch lookout positions.

Before I could make my way over to another lookout, another piercing sound ripples through the air. I collapse and feel a sharp pain in my shoulder. I look out to the west and see another sniper through the crack of a wall running down the steps of the building he's on. That shot was too close and I knew more enemies were near. Suddenly, there was an explosion nearby urging me to move despite the shock from the blood gushing out of my shoulder.

Another explosion lit up the sky followed by a resonating sound. Glass, metal, and concrete showered down like rainfall. Soldiers screamed in agony. The building beneath my combat boots started to disintegrate. I darted across the roof to escape. My feet planted onto a structure shorter than the one before.

I could feel a shake against my boots and I picked up my pace, but it was too late. I was free falling and getting hit by debris. I could hear a sickening snap when I landed in the ruble of what used to be my support. There was an excruciating pain in my left leg.

My eyes tried to find a familiar face but all I could see were the enemies approaching me. My mind screamed at my body to escape, but my body refused to listen to pick up the message. I was loosing a lot of blood and with every heartbeat more blood came out. I began drifting in and out of consciousness and finally I blacked out.

Amber cat like eyes stared into my arctic blues. They studied my movements and expressions to determine my next move or word. My eyes narrowed almost like tunnel vision and saw only my traumatic past before me. Reality disappeared when I could hear the explosions and the voices of my enemies nearing.

"Avery..."

The voice of my psychiatrist, Dr. Wilkinson, caused me to snap back into reality. I realized where I was and why I was here. I needed someone to talk to because I didn't have anyone. I fiddled with my fingers and scanned the room to find a way out.

"I'm sorry." I said feeling the need to apologize.

"Why are you sorry?" Dr. Wilkinson asked.

I took a moment to think about it. I couldn't answer why I was sorry but all I could feel was sorrow. I shook my head not knowing what to say at this point.

"You know, this is probably your twentieth visit and all I know about you is that you were a First Lieutenant and that your life was dedicated to the Marines. We've never actually talked about what you went through and that's why you are here." Dr. Wilkinson said firmly, clearly urging me to talk about the past.

I didn't feel the pressure to talk about what was going on in my mind. No one would understand what I went through, especially someone who has never been to war. My eyes wandered around the low-lit therapy room furnished with modern decor.

"I don't think I can go through these sessions anymore." I sighed, looking at my psychiatrist.

"Avery, every session you come to is another step to getting better. I would like for you to continue coming to see me." He said.

I didn't want to believe he was right, but my past haunted me every day. It happened almost a year ago and it was on the news everywhere. I hated to see my face plastered on the internet constantly reminding me.

I put my hands over my eyes, trying to hide my emotions, "I just feel like it all slipped through my fingers. I had control...and now" I pause making a gesture towards myself.

"I want you to do something for me. In addition to you writing in your journal, try to put yourself out there. Get to know other people, try and relate and connect. It may seem scary at first, but that one simple 'hello' could make a difference. You're making progression believe it or not. You complete all the tasks I ask you to and every visit you end up saying a little more than before. Remember when you first came in here?" Dr. Wilkinson put his hands together and leaned back in his chair.

I nodded remembering how I would blankly stare at the wall, almost as if I was nonexistent. I sat in the session silent the entire time. Doc let me because he knew I would talk eventually.

"Tell me why you are here again." He urged.

"I'm here because I feel like parts of me are missing," my eyes drifted towards the wall, "I've lost so many things in a short period of time."

"What did you lose?"

I took a deep breath and rubbed my thighs, preparing myself to get up, "Nothing. I really don't want to talk about it anymore. I will see you at our next session."

When I stood up to leave, Dr. Wilkinson got up as well and walked around his desk to lead me to the door. He didn't say another word and opened the door for me. I left the office not looking back.

-->Author's note: Thank you so much for taking the time to check out the book! I'm excited to write a new book again, especially something outside my comfort zone. I will try to update every weekend, but no later than a week and a half. Let me know what you think. I don't mind if you give your opinion whether good or bad. I definitely like comments so I can talk to you guys back! Lol, read on and stay awesome friends.

Love.Peace.Vote.Comment.Follow