Walls of the castle

"Good morning, Your Highness. Let's make today another great day." A maid's voice rung cheerfully throughout the large chamber as she pulled open the grand chantilly-lace trimmed curtains letting the room fill with fresh, almost blindingly bright sunlight. Majestically light wallpaper of a baby blue color adorned the walls with streaks of gold curling around the base like the stem of a flower. With a soft swish of her obsidian and ivory uniform, the maid rolled over the tea cart she had brought with her to the side of the canopy bed placed in the center of the room. As she poured steaming liquid from a pot into a silver tea cup, the covers were pushed aside on the bed and a sleepy yawn followed suit.

The boy, who was nestled under the blankets moments before, rubbed his powder blue eyes groggily after he sat up on the silken sheet beneath him. The teacup was handed to him on a matching saucer and he inhaled the sweet herbal aroma of earl grey before taking a sip.

"Are they back finally today, Hannah?" The boy asked before setting down the teacup. "It is as you assume, Your Highness. They arrived earlier this morning. Your parents would like to see you as soon as you're ready." The maid responded as she situated his clothes for the day in her arms. With a simple tug, Hannah removed his night shirt and slipped a white ,chiffon blouse over his head. She tied the ribbons attached to the ruffled collar after buttoning the shirt up and slid white thigh-high stockings onto his slender legs. After he was dressed in light blue shorts and a matching overcoat, his maid stood by the door patiently for him.

Walking passed her out the door he was greeted by other maids and butlers bowing throughout the hallway. Their greetings were universal in his mind as they were every other morning. "Good morning, Prince Alois." They all chirped in highly enthusiastic tones. Without a single glance in their direction, he brushed platinum blonde strands out of his eyes and walked through statuesque doors leading into the main dining room held open by two servants identical in appearance.

The long dining table was set with a bountiful selection of breakfast delicacies and pearl-colored lilies picked fresh from the castle gardens; his mother's favorite. A man sat at the head of the table with a beautiful blonde woman by his side. He ran his hand through his dark chocolate hair as the boy sat down with them at the table."You're late." The man stated without looking over at his son. His wife sent him an almost irritable glance before sighing and smiling over at Alois."He's just a boy, Dear. We just got back. There's no need to be stern already now is it?" His mother said calmingly before turning her attention back over to the boy. "I know it was only two weeks but I hope you've been fine by yourself, my love. ""You spoil him to much. That is exactly the problem." The king sighed and finally set his gaze upon his son who was paying more attention to the blueberry scone on his plate then his newly returned parents. "Your fifteenth birthday is less than three months away. I was already working on the royal court and helping my father at that age. You've got to start taking more responsibility around here."

Alois's sharp blue gaze met with the king's over his scone. It didn't matter in his opinion. His days were run on a tight schedule from the moment he woke up to his nightly baths. Tutors from all over the kingdom came daily for the young prince's lessons and it truly was tiring. "I don't see how it matters anyway. If it's so important have someone else deal with it." He cheekily replied before crossing his arms tightly over his chest.

His father's hands slammed down on the table with a loud bang. "You're the heir to the throne! It is time for you to grow up whether you like it or not, Alois!" The booming sound of his voice echoed throughout the room. "By the end of October I want you to start working in the court learning how to address laws. That is all."  "Dear please... There's no need to be so harsh with him..." The queen started but the boy had already started to exit the room, the servants not saying a word as he stormed out. It wasn't uncommon for the king and prince to bicker and it had been that way since the prince was small. Because of their strained relationship, his younger brother had been studying over seas the past year; his father hoping this would make his son be more prepared to support their kingdom. Alois missed the boy dreadfully and the castle walls started feeling more and more like a prison.