Waking Up

I wake up to the sound of an alarm and groan slightly. As I reach to turn it off, an arm reaches across me to turn it off. As the hand pulls back I hear a whisper in my ear.

"'Mm-babe, stay here please, I want you to stay, just me and you and our big bed", I hear Michael say behind me and I turn around in his arms to face him, immediately nuzzling my head into his neck.

"I have to though", I sigh and kiss his neck and he responds by kissing the top of my head. He laughs lightly and shakes his head.

"You don't want to", he says, I can tell he's smiling. Of course I don't, I want to stay here forever in his arms and kiss him and love him while he tells me I'm pretty and rubs his thumb over my hand. I'm about to argue that I have to but he interrupts me before I can. "I called in sick for you already, don't worry", I jolt my head up, a look of worry on my face, he smiles and places a finger to my lips and replaced it with his. I kiss him, and a spark runs down my spine and I place my arms around his neck, kissing him deeper and more passionately, a passion I only feel with him.

He pulls away and places his hand on my cheek, the other on my waist. "Don't worry, it'll be okay. One day. One day of work you'll be gone, they won't miss you. You work hard enough, and besides, I need you more." He kisses me softly and pulls away to look into my eyes and smile. "It's okay, close your eyes." I smile and fall back asleep into his arms.

I hear shuffling across the floor and wake up to see Red with a tray.

He laughs lightly and smiles, "oh sorry baby, I didn't mean to wake you", I sit up and smile and look at the clock, it reads 10:23, hmm 4 hours since I last woke up, I shrugged and smiled.

"Whatcha got there handsome?", he smiles and walks over to me.

"Breakfast in bed", he says as he places a tray with plates of assorted fruit, pancakes, bacon and 2 glasses of orange juice. "I thought we could stay up here in bed together and have breakfast", I smiled and shook my head.

"How did I get such an amazing guy?" I smile and kiss him as he sits beside me.

"Well, I found an amazing girl and made it my goal to try and be as good as she is so that I could treat her right", I shake my head as he kisses me and I kiss him.

"I love you so much", I say as I pull away.

"I love you so much more", he smiles and picks up a raspberry to put it in mouth.

I slowly sit up, tired, I didn't sleep well last night, or any night at all for the past year. The zombie apocalypse. Ha, of all the crazy fucking things to happen, a zombie apocalypse. I'm used to it now, you have to be if you want to survive, doesn't mean I like sleeping on a concrete floor anymore then the next guy.

Taking a few minutes to fully wake up, I get up and look for whatever I have in my backpack to eat. "Shit..", I'm running low on food, I can last a few days, but I should probably scavenge soon. I hate leaving this building, it's safe, I've spent the past 4 months securing it and making it my base.

"Well I guess you'll do", I say as I pull out a can of peaches. That's one good thing about this whole situation, there were lots of canned peaches to be scavenged. I sat there and ate my peaches as I thought out a plan of where I was going and how long that would take me. When I was looking for supplies a couple days ago I found a corner store that looked like it had some stuff. I have yet to check it out and today's as good as any.

I put my few belongings into my bag, I haven't seen any one around this area for the four months I've been here, but it doesn't hurt to be safe.

Everything was gathered and I made my way out. Looking around, I made sure there weren't any walkers. Despite having a shack in the forest, it wasn't too populated, which was good. A few here and there, but nothing too concerning.

Even though I only stumbled across it once, I still knew where to go since it was only a couple days ago. My journey there was pretty uneventful, thank god, and didn't take too much time, about 40 minutes at a normal walking speed. I finally reached the doors of the store and looked around the building, making sure there was no one around and to search for any evidence of a person maybe taking shelter here.

When I was sure there wasn't anyone around, I entered with caution and walked down the aisles looking for walkers. I decided to check the back room just to make sure. I grabbed my silenced gun and braced myself, almost immediately swinging the door open.

Boom

Watching the walker fall to the floor, dead, I scanned the room for anything of use. Nothing. I moved out and started scavenging for anything I could eat. Cereal, canned peaches, cereal, protein bars, rotten fruit, water, various juices and sodas, more cereal. I gathered what I could that was good to take and made my way out cautiously, to avoid being ambushed or looted.

When I got back I saw my door was wide open. Did I forget to close it? I thought to myself. No. I must have. I know better. I slowly made my towards the door, pulling out my gun. I must've I know better. But, that means that someone's.. In there..

"Hey Nick! There's nothing here! We should just head out. All that's here is empty cans of peaches, or lack of. Damn."

My heart was now racing. How could someone be here. When did they arrive. I was only gone no more than two hours. Instead of thinking over a better plan I followed my first instinct and went inside, gun out.

"Who the fuck are you?"