Chapter 29

Cold.

I haven't felt this type of feeling since I was first captured to be a slave. My body was frozen with this chilling feeling pumping through my veins that seem to freeze my blood to run in slow motion as my heart beat lowered. The bitter darkness that consumed me left me in an unusual sense of peace. Instead of feeling afraid and scared, I felt calm and welcoming towards the restful aura. My mind was at ease with no thoughts lingering around, nothing to worry about.

Is this what it's like to be dead?

No worries, no cares, just emptiness.

The soft white noise echoes around in this vacant space that my soul travels in but there's something else behind all the static, a voice.

"You did it, you saved him my child." I can just barely make out the words it's saying. I look around only to find more darkness with no voice to match to.

"Who are you?" I question into the air all around me hoping for an answer. Patiently waiting for what felt like hours I received no reply. Then the force of strong winds knocked me down to the ground as I brace for an impact my body is left floating. Then I hear it.

The soft beep of a heart monitor.

My fingers stretch out to feel the plush sheets laying underneath my still body. This can't be real. I'm alive? I weakly grip the blanket as the silky feeling laces through my fingers.

"She's awake" an unknown voice says beyond belief. Feet shuffle throughout the room as things are moved around.

"Someone call in Ronan!" the same voice orders.

Ronan.

The noise from the heart monitor beeps faster at the mention of his name until it returns back to it's normal rhythm. The loud sound of the door slamming opening and cracking the wall. I still can't see anything but I know the people that were in the room to hurriedly scurry out as I listen to their feet scrubbing against the ground leaving me helpless and back to unmoving with whomever just caused this scene. Darkness still covers my vision, the person was still unknown to me yet the air seemed thinner, the ambience felt familiar.

The well-known sparks that only one person can cause me to feel are now igniting on my left hand. I feel my hand ascend into the air and the soothing pressure of his lips on my skin makes my stomach do flips. My hand then lowers back down to my side but the sparks are still there.

Something wet hits my hand rolling down my skin. The soft sound of sniffles awakens in front of me. Is he crying? I need to comfort him. I need to wake up.

I need to wake up!

All of a sudden my torso shoots up from it's restful slumber. My lungs ache as I take in a deep breathe as if my life depended on it. My eyes flash open everything around me seemed clearer and sharper. I could make out the little dust bits floating in the air. My hearing seemed as if it was turned all the way up. I was able to hear the faint sound of buzzing from the electricity traveling through the wires and into the ceiling lights. The blood pumping through my veins warmed veins and my body internally. 

How am I alive?

I lift my hands up to my face to inspect them to see if this was real life. I'm reflected back with my fingers wiggling around in front of my eyes. My skin looked unfazed and smooth almost a crystal clear complexion and the color seemed to be lighter than usual. Despite the duller color I felt warm in a sense of completeness.

"It worked."

I whip my head in the direction of the voice of the one I've come to love. My eyes immediately drink in the sight of him. He looks like he hasn't slept very well in days, maybe even weeks. The bags under his eyes were very prominent and dark, and it didn't help that his eyes looked bloodshot. His hair was tousled everywhere as if he was endlessly running his hands through it. Oh how badly I want to feel those soft locks between my fingers. Although he looked like a walking corpse I couldn't help to feel my abdomen do jumps and flips. His blue eyes shined as he took in the sight of my breathing and living body. Then I remember what he said.