The Fallout of the Fight

Grimaud got up off the ground, livid. Aramis was pinned tightly to the ground, three men on him. Sylvie had a gun to her head.
Both of them were defenceless and the man in charge was angry. He could change his mind, flip, at any moment. Aramis locked eyes with his friend's wife, mouthing to her that she would be OK. But Grimaud saw him. He stamped on the First Minister's head, sending it crashing to the floor. He signalled to his men. They brought Aramis to his feet and two of them held him whilst another chained his wrists and ankles again. Through the blood on his face and the dizziness that his captor's boot had caused, Aramis couldn't help but grin. He'd won. He'd defeated Grimaud.
He knew Grimaud wasn't going to take this lightly. He'd punish Aramis for this. But he didn't care. He knew the consequences of losing. And he also the repercussions if he won. But winning also brought its perks. Sylvie was free. She would go back to Paris, to the Queen and tell her what was happening. Aramis didn't care what happened to him. He'd won her her freedom. That was all that mattered at that moment.
Aramis hadn't been paying attention. He was taken by surprise as Grimaud wrapped his hands around the Musketeer's throat. He held on tightly. Aramis struggled for breath. Grimaud eased off slightly.
"I won," Aramis spluttered. "I won fair and square. Let... Let her go." Grimaud, with one final look of complete hatred and contempt, released him. Aramis crumpled to the ground. He coughed and regained his breath.
"Get the girl a horse and let her go. Bring him. He'll want to witness it."
Aramis was manhandled over to the front door. One of the guards had saddled Sylvie a horse. She turned round to Grimaud.
"Can I speak to him? Just for a second. Alone?" Grimaud signalled to his men to let go of Aramis and they all stood outside except for Grimaud who leaned against the wall, watching the two intently. Sylvie came right up to Aramis so she could whisper in his ear.
"I'll go to the Queen. You'll be fine Aramis. I have complete faith in you. When Athos returns, tell him I love him and I'll meet him on his return to Paris."
"OK," Aramis replied. "Good luck."
"You too."
"Enough!" Said Grimaud. "Get going girl." Sylvie was escorted out of the house. She mounted the horse and rode off, leaving Aramis alone to face the wrath of Grimaud.
"Just you and me, Minister, hmm? Gag him and take him down. There's no one left for him to plot with, to talk to. He really is a prisoner now." The last words were like an icy dagger to Aramis' heart. A prisoner. For the second time by the Grimaud brothers. And he knew there were still days before the others were to return.
"Bring him some food and water. We can't have him starving, can we?" The guards took Aramis back down to the cellar and put a plate of bread and cheese in front of him, as well as a cup full of water. They unchained his wrists so he could eat and watched as he did so. When he was finished, they locked his wrists again, this time in front of him and wound the cloth around his mouth. They left, locking the door, with no guard on duty this time. He was completely incapacitated and alone.

Aramis began to wonder if he had made the right decision in letting Sylvie ride off to Paris. He didn't trust Georges. Grimaud's men could still decide to ride after her and ambush her and Aramis wouldn't know as he was stuck in a cellar. She could die soon and it would be his fault for allowing her to leave. Though, if she stayed, then Grimaud would have no qualms in killing her anyway. At least this way, she had a chance.
Also, he was desperately worried about what Athos would say when he returned from doing Grimaud's mission. Aramis hadn't seen him properly in three years. He didn't know whether Athos would be the uncertain, bitter man he knew when Lucien was around or the just, loyal, courageous man he knew for the years before. Athos' personality was extremely interchangeable. He knew Sylvie would be the first thing Athos would ask him about and the former Captain would be out of his mind when he saw his wife had gone again. No other choice, he reminded himself.
Aramis felt guilty but for one, Sylvie was going to die if he lost or refused, and two, it was the best way to get help. The Queen would listen to Sylvie, especially if it were the four Musketeers who were in trouble.
He knew it was days until Athos, Porthos and D'Artagnan were back so he knew that they were days Grimaud could beat him up, kill him if he wanted. Aramis doubted the latter though. He needed his leverage to get Athos to do what he wanted.
The Minister was surprised Georges had made the move of letting Sylvie go. Perhaps he had grown bored and wanted a fight with something at stake. Maybe he thought he was going to win so Sylvie's freedom would make the Musketeer put up a good fight. Aramis was better than Lucien's brother expected though. And Aramis knew that Georges knew that he had to honour his side of the bargain and let Athos' wife free. But was the price too great?