Escape

Run.

Run.

Run!

I couldn't let them catch me.

Run.

Run.

I had to get away.

I looked behind me. I guessed that I had about six seconds before the dog-men caught me. For seven rough years I had been held captive by scientists. Unlike the others I have spoken to, I wasn't taken or sold as a baby. I was seven. Seven years old and kidnapped by mean people with white coats. I never knew where I was, but I knew it was somewhere in the middle of a city. Every day I could hear the beeping of cars and the loud shouts of people.

For the last couple months I've been trying to escape, realizing the horrible experiments were only going to get worse.

Finally, my chance came. Everyday I would be walked from the 'experiment' room to my cell across the hall. I had noticed that the next room over had a window, when the female scientist that brings me food walked out, I swear I saw a skyscraper, a tall building.

After several weeks of planing, I was ready. On the way to the experiment room, I ripped my self from the skinny escort's hands, and smashed into my side into the door with the window before anyone could grab me. I jumped onto a filing cabinet, and I was slipping through the small window before a normal person could blink.

But, I wasn't normal.

These thoughts flew through my head in the six seconds I had to spare, before I was running for my life once more.

Running down the crowded streets, I looked for an escape route. A narrow ally caught my attention. I raced down it, jumping over abandoned trash cans and discarded boxes. The dog-men banged through everything, not slowing.

I came to a brick wall. Dead end. I looked left and right, searching for an escape route. A wooden door caught my attention. Attached to the door was a three-story abandoned building. Whipping the door open, I flew up the stairs to the left. Approaching the top, my heart sunk when I saw there was no roof access. No doors. No windows. I was trapped.

And after all I went through to get here.

I wish they would just die.

They moved forward, and the left one was about to lunge at me. My arms flew up, a lousy attempt to protect myself. Suddenly, the right one howled in pain. I covered my ears. The second one started screeching as well. They fell to their knees, and one by one fell over, still as rocks.

Slowly, I slid closer to them. Poking one with my shoe, I realized they were dead.

Bewildered, I sulked out of the building. Back down the ally. Back onto the busy street.

How could that have happened? I've never see anything like that before.

I started getting a headache. Before I knew it, it was dark out. Clouds clouded the sky, and it started pouring.

I ran up to a old abandoned one-story building that caught my eye. It was dark inside. I took the door knob. Locked. Taking it in both hands in both my hands and snapped it in half. One of the plus sides to being a mutant. A tiny bell jingled as I walked in. Books lay everywhere. On desks, in shelves, across the floor.

I smiled to myself. It was a library.

I ran my hand over the spines of the books on the shelves. Then I traveled down a long hallway.

Another room was at the end. It held copies of every book from How To Kill A Mockingbird to Famous American Women. The authors ranged from Erin Hunter to J.K Rowlings. Delighted, I smiled and picked up a discarded book. I froze at shuffling heard in the corner. A hand was slapped over my mouth, and a arm wrapped around my waist.

This was such a bad idea! Of course their was going to be people here! I struggled in the person's grip.

"Let go of me!" I snarled. My tone startled me. It was very aggressive.

I heard the frown in her voice. "No."

Fear struck me like a knife. Terror took over.

"No." I whispered. "Don't take me back." I started thrashing around wildly.

The girl's grip got tighter. "Stop thrashing!" I didn't.

She grunted as I tried to pull away. "Fang."

A boy came out from the shadows. He was tall with jet black hair and pale skin. That must be Fang.

He tied my hands behind my back and made me kneel on the ground.

"Who sent you? Whitecoats? Jeb?"

"W-what?" I stuttered, looking down. I was about to look up at him, but a sign caught my attention. It read 'ROOF' with a white arrow pointing to a staircase. My way out.

After a year and a half at the laboratory, they had done a huge experiment. I was prepped for weeks. The results were me growing wings. They were black, and they grew with me. At this very moment, they were tucked inside my sweatshirt. They were measured everyday, and last time they were almost fifteen feet long.

Taking a deep breath, I lunged towards, ripping the rope that bound my hands to shreds. I stumbled up the stairs at impossible speed. When I reached the top, I ran to the edge of the roof.

"Stop!" I heard the girl yell. Turned to see the girl, Fang, and a boy with blond hair burst from the stairway.

It was no longer raining, and the sun was just coming up over the horizon.

Perfect timing.

I got a good look at the trio. The girl to the left had blond hair, was fairly muscular, and a inch shorter than Fang. The boy to the right had shaggy blond hair that looked pink in the sunlight. He was two inches taller than Fang. His eyes were clouded, and he wasn't focusing on anything. Blind. Fang tapped the blond boy's hand in strange ways, communicating silently.

Time to go.

I ripped off my sweatshirt and untucked my wings from my jeans. Stretching them felt good. I turned around when I heard a gasp from the girl.

She stepped forward and slowly took of the bandanna she wore around her neck off. Gorgeous fourteen feet long brown and tan wings stretched out behind her.

I gasped. "Who are you?"

She walked towards me. She stopped a feet away and spoke.

"Maximum Ride."