Awake

I awoke today to the roar of heavy machinery that rang in my ears like a great beast, and I found myself staring into darkness. My arms were bound to my sides for reasons unknown, and I could only thrash about as I called for someone - no, anyone - to help me. 

The only worldly material I could use to describe the unbearable burning in my arms was lava. My wrists were ablaze as the body shaped capsule I was lodged in opened, and I was greeted by several unfriendly scowls. There were some grins, however.

"Wow, the first one to survive," is what I believe one of the men whispered. He gazed at me with wide eyes, as though I was a rare specimen (Though I think that I am a particularly rare specimen, in this case).

Honestly, I was too busy attempting to collect my thoughts over the ache in my head.

The room around me was tall and white.The tables, floor, walls, machines and ceiling were white, except for the emblem of a winding, azure tree against opposing the pale doors.

I wanted to speak, but a jumble of words fell from my mouth at once, and I found myself sighing in frustration rather than speaking. I ended up falling onto white tiles when one of the men pressed another button and unlatched the system binding my limbs.

"You're a lucky one, you are," one of the men mumbled as he knelt to the ground and rolled me onto my back, staring at me with interest deep in his eyes.

"Whadda ya mean?" I asked, slurring my speech accidentally. He appeared to be taken aback, while the others gasped softly.

"He can speak?"

"That's amazing."

"I thought that Mr. Garrod said that he would be completely silent if we ever got him out."

"What do you mean?" I struggled to enunciate as I lifted my head; my tongue felt heavy in my mouth, almost like when you go to the dentist and they inject you with anesthetics. 

They all stared again.

"Can you walk, as well?"

Sighing, I set my head to the floor once again. 

By that point, I realized that they weren't going to listen.

Leisurely, I rolled to my stomach and brought my arms by my shoulders, cringing the whole time, as I raised myself against all odds. They watched closely as I set my knees underneath my stomach and stood - shakily I might add - to meet them.

I stared all of them in the eyes, one by one, challenging them as I focused to stay upright. I was curious to know if they wished for me to do more, so I waited. One of them grinned after a pause and strolled forwards, grabbed my arm and threw the limb over his shoulder to help support my weight.

I seized the opportunity and leaned onto him as much as I felt I could.

"I can't believe that you haven't collapsed yet," he muttered, nodding once at the others. They all nodded in unison, and then returned to different sections of the vast structure that surrounded me.

"Why?" The man's face was scrunched at my simple question, and I could tell from the pensive appearance in his eyes that he had seen less fortunate souls than I prior to my awakening. I decided not to question him further.

He led me through four sets of doors and to a bare room with a mere desk, chair and mattress for furniture. They were all void of color, of course.  "You're staying here," he stated, leading me inside

"Why?" I stumbled from his grasp and into the room, gazing at the dull interior.

"We will start your testing tomorrow, but for now, here is your journal and your list," he muttered, thrusting a lined book, pen and a sheet of filled paper in my direction. They were placed into my hands, as he said, "Welcome to the world, number three-hundred and ninety-four."

Before I could ask what he meant, he closed the door and left me to my own thoughts.

Now that I've written about waking up, I will truly begin my story.