Twenty Two||Pasts and Groceries

Two uploads in a day to make up for the delay :) (that kinda rhymes???)

C h a p t e r  T w e n t y   T w o

Pasts & Groceries

  ♔ L u c y ♔ 

"Sit down." He gestures to the general area of his room. I jump onto his bed, sitting down pretzel style.

"Where's your mom?" I ask, noticing that the house is quiet.

"She went shopping with Rebecca."

"Did you have lunch?" I feel my motherly instincts kick in.

"Not yet, no." Jason smiles sheepishly as he runs a hand through his chestnut hair.

"Alright, I'll make you something." I get up, ready to head to the kitchen. Jason follows behind me.

"We don't really have any ingredients." He mentions, and I confirm by giving the inside of the fridge a once over.

"Does Barbara still leave grocery cash on her nightstand?" I quiz, preparing to head to her room.

"I think so. Want me to go check?"

I nod, and the two of us go back upstairs. I don't enter her room, because it feels kind of wrong. Like I'm trespassing. Jason exits with a familiar brown wallet in hand.

"What, we're going grocery shopping?" he raises an eyebrow quizzically and I nod in affirmation.

"I didn't call you over to mom me, Lu. We can just order something."

"Shut up." I flick his forehead and gesture for him to follow me downstairs.

"Lucy, I'm serious."

"So am I. You said yourself you can't go on with outside food forever. Besides, I haven't had lunch either and I want to eat something homemade." I lie about the second half just so he'll listen to me.

I hear Jason huff behind me and know that I've won. He takes his keys from the keyholder beside the coat rack and locks the house. We get in his car and he makes his way for the grocery store.

"I may as well start calling you mother." Jason grumbles.

I don't comment on it. Instead, I start thinking of whether I should tell him about my decision on coming back.

Deciding to do it, I ask, "How would you feel if I, uh, moved back in?"

My brother whips his head to look at me for a second, a look of disbelief on his face. He turns back just as quick to look at the road.

"I'd feel like you're an idiot."

I sigh. I didn't expect Jason to be jumping at the idea or helping me execute it. In fact, between the Knights and Jason, I suspected he'd be the most against the idea of me returning.

"Well, I have been considering it. Linda and George said they'd support my decision."

"Linda and George didn't have to watch their mother abuse their sister right in front of them." He snaps back and I slump in my seat.

"Jason, you said yourself that everything is a mess without me here."

"Lucy, I would rather things be hectic than have my sister be treated like shit."

"George said he'll lay down some rules Barbara has to follow in order for me to stay."

"What makes you so sure she'll follow them? How do you know mom won't flip shit if you try to come back?"