Chapter 1

The sun came over the horizion and shown through my window. The rays spread through out my room and the diaphanous canopy surrounding my bed. I slowly opened my eyes to the welcoming warmth of the sun. I pulled the covers off of me and slid my legs over the side of my bed. I pulled back my canopy and stepped onto my blue wool rug. The sun had warmed the fabric and it was soft to the touch. I took my dressing gown from the hook next to my bed. There was a light knock at my door and I walked across the cold stone to open the door. I opened the door to find Alston all dressed up. He walked in and I closed the door. I turned to face him and I was met by a friendly hug from my older brother. He picked me up and spun me around and set me on the chest at the foot of my bed. He sat doen next to me and gazed into my eyes.

"What is it Alston?" I asked. He seemed to be worried about something.

"Mother. I overheard her talking to father earlier this morning. She is determined yo find you a husband today at the Easter celebration."

"She may do what she wishes, but I have made up my mind. I will find a man on my own."

"I know you will."

"Thank you. No may I get dressed for tg e celebration?"

"Of course. May I pick your dress?"

"Yes. I think I know which one you are picking."

"Are you sure about that?"

"Yes. You pick the same one out everytime."

We walked over to my wardrobe and and Alston started going through all my dresses. He finally found the one he was looking for. Same one as usual. Long trail length, long wide sleeves that go past my wrists, with coverage at the top and of course in the color navy. Alston always picks this dress for me. I don't know why he likes it so much. I take the dress and take it behind the dressing screen.

"Ellie?"

"Yes Alston?"

"You do know what is going on with father?"

"Yes. I know he is sick and but he is still as strong an ox. He still has five years left ib him. It's nothing new Alston, the whole manor knows."

"Not that. He hasn't told you yet has he?"

"Alston what's going on?"

"It's nothing Ellie. Father will tell you. I have no place to talk. Bit just letting you know the Eldest son of Lord Dyran will ve at the celebration today. Please, I beg of you Ellie, be kind." I walked out from behind the screen with an irritated facial expression. That boy drives me insane. He thinks he has all authority over me. If Alston thinks I am going to be kind he has got the wrong idea.

"I am not promising anything Alston. What happens happens. You kn ow what he is like. I refuse to give into him and you of all people should know that."

"I know but Ellie, be careful."

"Don't worry about me. How could anything go wring with H-." I was cut off by a kbock at my door. "I'm guessing that's them." I walked over to the door and ooensd it to find Mavis and Hiram standing outside the door. Alston came up behind me and the two boys bowed. I rolled my eyes at them. They always do this.

"Good moring my Lord and Lady." they said in unison. They really know how to annoy Alston.

"Really. Do you two alwayss have to do that?" asked Alston.

"You know we just like to get under your skin." said Hiram as he and Mavis walked into my room. They are our personal knights hired by my father to protect me and Alston. There has been more conflicts with the neiboring manors. There have been threats of kidnappings and murders addressed to Alston and I. Our father fears for our safty, so now we have personal knights. We have all become close friends.