Chapter 1

I stepped off the bus, feeling the summer wind softly caressing my skin. My auburn hair flows across my face. First day of school and already I'm getting poetic in my head. I saunter around trying to look like I know what I'm doing, and I'm getting those "new kid" stares.

"Who's the new girl?" A girl says to her group of friends.

"She's lookin' like a city girl to me." One of the other girls said. They all laughed.

I put my head down and shuffled on forward. I finally found the door, without the help of anybody, and found my first class. Biology. Great. Junior year and I'm still in Biology. I made it through the forty-five minutes of Biology and trudged to Algebra II. All my academics first thing in the morning.... Not good. After English II and Gym I was exhausted and totally ready for lunch.

The lunch tables looked just like the ones in Chicago. Round. Seats attached. Only the colors were different. Orange and Green. The school colors. All of them were filled, or being brutally saved for people who would never show up, except one by the trashcans, which seated a couple geeks in my opinion. But, you know, I gotta make some friends.... Right?

As I start to approach the little group of geeks, they start to whisper and get really excited.

"Can I sit here?" I asked.

"Yeah sure. Go ahead." The boy had mouse brown shaggy hair swishing around his face in a trying-to-be-cool style. He had glasses on and a plaid shirt, tucked into mom-jeans that were a bit to tight. He wasn't all that bad looking.... if you squinted.

"I'm Jason, by the way." He said. He introduced the rest of his friends. An Asian boy named Dale. A blonde boy named Sam, and another brown haired boy named Elvin.

"My parents are a bit old-fashioned." Elvin said.

"Mine to." I said, and smiled. "My names Sophia."

"Very sophisticated." Sam said. "See what I did there?"

We all laughed. And lunch passed quickly with the help of our playful banter. Turns out I have a few classes with Jason and Sam and one with Elvin. Me and Jason walked to Art together. After Art I have Home Ec. and AP History. AP was a disaster.

"Sophia Morelli?"

"Here."

"Now class. Sophia's our newest student. She's from Chicago."

My entire AP History class thinks I'm some stuck up city girl now. Thanks Mr. Rodriguez.

After school, I hop back on the bus, choosing a seat in the relative front. By the time I get to my stop, it's just me and a boy left on the bus. He gets off with me and says bye to the bus driver. I walk down the dirt road toward my house.

"Hey wait up." The boy says. He jogs up to me as I turn around. "Are you the new Morelli girl?"

"Yea..." He's cute. Real cute. Brownish blonde hair. Blue green eyes with a hint of brown. Few inches taller then me. Nice smile. "I prefer Sophia." I teased.

"Sophia sounds so stuck up. Can I call you Sophie?" He says, breaking into my stupor.

"You can call me whatever you like."

"Cool..."

We're walking in silence for a few milliseconds when he smiles real big and says, "Good afternoon to you Sophie. My name is Yours Truly."

I laughed. "Oooh. Should I take that as a compliment? Or a horrible pickup line." I smirk at him.

"Eh." He smiles. "Hunter. Hunter Luke Gibson, if you please, ma'am." He smiled at me as I laughed. "I, uhm... Am your neighbor."

"Oh cool. I was wondering why you got off the bus with me."

"Wanna come meet my mom?"

"Yea sure."

We turned into his "mile long drive way" and he picked up a stick, running it along the side of the white-picket fence. We walked in silence for about a half mile when a black lab comes running up the road to us.

"Annie don't!" Hunter yells. But it's to late. She leaps up in the air, barking her ears off and body slams herself into my chest. I hit the dirt in a matter of seconds, with the air knocked out of me. The dog is licking my face to no prevail as I lay beneath her, trying to get free.

Hunter finally manages to pry her off of me, after he was done laughing, and helps me to my feet.

"I'm so sorry about that." He says.

"Nah. Don't be. I've always wanted a dog, but my dad was allergic." I smiled at him. "It was an adventure."

"Oh you haven't seen anything yet." I gave him a quizzical look, tilting my head to the side to add a bit of confusion and raising an eyebrow for effect. He just laughed and took my hand, pulling me towards his house once more.