Chapter One

She was sitting on their usual spot on the diner, waiting for Manon, when she noticed a group of boys checking her out from two tables in front. Elide was a pretty girl. Her hair as black as ink and eyes as dark as onyx. Her triangular face looked good on her despite people mostly prefering the oval shape.

Trying not to meet the eyes of the green eyed boy who winked at her earlier, again, she drew her phone out of her bag and checked for Manon's text.

----------

From: Manon

Abraxos needs to be fixed. Asterin will pick u up. Any problem.

----------

Elide huffed, not confused with Manon not using a question mark even on text. She might as well shouldn't have asked her for her complaints since she couldn't give one, in the end. She raised her eyes from the phone when she saw the green eyed boy again, being urged by his friends to get up and talk to her. She even made another eye contact with him, boosting the boy's confidence to approach her.

She quickly panicked.

She couldn't be talking to him. Talking to a guy. Or any other except from the girls from her sorority, Blackbeak, because, it wouldn't have made a difference. She would just get hurt. With people asking things she couldn't give to them or them getting tired with her shortcoming.

She hastily texted Manon, fearing the guy more than Manon's slight irritation on her small demand.

----------

To: Manon

Can u ask Asterin to come faster? Someone's approaching me.

----------

"Hi," the guy greeted. Elide froze, her fingers hovered on her keypad, suspended in motion. She slowly set his phone down on the table and took her time looking up at the guy. The moment ther eyes met, Elide's eyes beat triple times.

The guy was handsome, though in normal girl's standards and not in a Blackbeak member's. After all, Blackbeaks were used to handsome boys, immune to them and mostly the ones who made even the most renowned playboys cry in heartbreak. She wasn't hyperventilating because of his looks, or because of love at first sight. It was from huge panic. In the end, it appears now that she could see his face clearly, this wasn't the first time she saw this guy. The last time, he was still Elide Lochan, bound by the law to stay with his uncle Vernon Lochan, trapped on his old house and forced to do chores and earn their living. Though, in reality, she didn't really need to. She was left with a big land and a hefty sum of money by her deceased parents that she could have used for herself from the start, hadn't it been for her greedy uncle who spent half of it wasted on drugs, women, and gambling. He even had the nerve to gamble the land that was hers and lost it to a moustached man named Perrington. In anyway, she couldn't fathom whether to be thankful to the momentary loss of the land she originally grew up in because without that incident, she wouldn't have met Manon and turned her sorry life better. That, was a story for another time. But now, she needed to face this guy.

"I think it wouldn't be bad to ask to be acquainted to such a lovely girl as you," he started, pushing his blond hair back and tilting the side of his lips into a confident smirk.

Elide made a gurgling noise at the back of her throat, only raising the boy's confidence. Her hands were shaking atop her cellphone. She knotted her fingers tighter together, trying to hide her nervousness despite the guy's knowing look.

"My name is Valg, wouldn't you like to join our table right there," he proposed, pointing to his group of friends who were whispering and laughing quietly as if knowing and discussing a nasty secret they knew about her. Perhaps they did know something and were making fun of her, even taking bets.