Prologue

Vanessa
8 years old
June 9, 1994

Glass shattering.
Dad screaming.
Mom crying.

Hiding in the closet.
Calling for help.
Men shouting.

"Everything will be alright, sweet girl." Uncle Teddy came to my rescue.  He hugged me because I was crying.

"Wh-What... ha-ha-happened?"  I tried, but I couldn't really talk yet.

"Your dad threw a pretty big temper tantrum, but it's okay now." He's rubbing my back.  It feels good, but I'm still worried.

"Mm-Mm-Mom?" I can barely whisper.  What if something happened to her?  I can't lose her.

I can't live without her.

"She's fine, your dad is fine. Everything is fine... well, minus a few dishes." He tries to say a joke, but I can't laugh now.

Did Dad throw plates at Mom? Did she get hit?  What if Mom needs help?  I just hid. I didn't help her.

I can't stop crying.

He pushes my chin up. "Hey, don't you worry about anything, sweet girl. I will take care of you." He wipes away my tears.

I can't see him at all, it's dark and my eyes are blurry.  He kisses my forehead, like mommy used to do.  I close my eyes and he wipes my tears away again. I miss my mom. Shouldn't she be here with me?

"Why don't you get some sleep, sweet girl?" He stands up, but I grab his wrist.  I don't want him to leave. I don't want to be alone.

I scoot over by the wall, to let him lay down, like I always do with Mom. He looks confused and I thought he was going to say no. 

Was it not okay? Am I going to get into trouble?

He sits down on the bed, and takes off his shoes.  He lays down with me. I snuggle up to him and he hugs me.  He kisses my forehead again.

I feel like I won.  I get to sleep with the one person I trust the most.

The one person who loves me enough to be here. 

The one person I don't want to hide from.