Memento

She was standing just outside the school gate under her umbrella. As always, I marveled at how pretty she looked even in that drab thing we called a school uniform. But it wasn't just her physical beauty. There was something about her that made everything around her seem to look uninteresting so that my entire mind was focused on her alone.  

Hey!

I called out her name. She turned in my direction. Her eyes widened when she saw me getting wet from the rain. I grinned and ran towards her. She sprinted towards me as well. We met halfway.

What are you doing?!

What?

You're running around in the rain!

Before I could say anything, she grabbed my collar and pulled me under the umbrella with her.

Crazy.

Sorry. I didn't bring an umbrella.

Where are we going anyway?

Just come with me.

Ethan...

Let's go.

I grabbed the umbrella from her and held it higher over our heads. Then I placed a hand on the small of her back and led her away.

The bus station was a short walk from school. It took us about five minutes to get there.

We stood waiting for the next bus. I watched as Julia held out a palm and caught some rain drops. She looked at me and smiled. At that moment I knew that leaving her would be the hardest thing in the world for me to do.

Are you okay?

Why?

You look about to cry.

What? No. Here's the bus.

I pointed at the bus lumbering up from around the block. I actually had no idea where we were going. I just wanted to be with her longer than I actually had time to.

I tried to help her up the bus, but she bounded up the steps easily. I hurried after her. She chose one of the seats at the back. As usual, she sat by the window. I unslung my bag and slipped next to her.

Can we drop by the bookstore? There's this book I really wanna check out.

Okay.

And let's go get some ice cream.

In this weather?!

Sure, why not? You haven't bought me ice cream in a long time.

Julia...

I have tons of homework from the English academy. Can you help me out?

Julia-

Please? You're better at English than me.

I'm leaving for Canada tomorrow.

She stopped talking at once. I watched as her tiny mouth worked, but no words came out. She looked at me as if not understanding. I didn't know how to explain.

I'm sorry. I already told you last month.

You're kidding.

I wish I were.

No.

It's true. My flight has been scheduled. I'm leaving at 6 tomorrow morning.

I couldn't stand seeing her face. I looked down at my hands and struggled to say words that I knew would hurt us both.

You already knew about it. My parents want me to study there. They've staked their whole lives on it.

They want you to be a doctor, just like your father.

I'm an only child. I understand why they're doing this.

I know. I understand, too.

Julia, I'm so sorry.

Why do you keep saying sorry?

Because...I want to...to break up with you.

I gasped, feeling as if the air had left my lungs when I said that. Julia didn't say anything, making me feel torn inside. She was my first girlfriend, my first love. I've known her since we were kids. Leaving her hurt me as much as it did her, perhaps more.

I'm really sorry, Julia.

She turned away abruptly and looked out the bus window. Her voice sounded too high when she spoke next.

You know what? It's okay.

What?

It's okay. I'll wait for you to come back.

Julia...

You will come back, right?

I'm not sure. My parents are already Canadian citizens.

Anyhow, I'll wait. I'll just count the days until you get back.

I glanced at her. She was looking out the bus window at the rain. I saw her reflection on the glass. She was crying.

I sighed and reached for her hand. That was when the bus suddenly swerved left, and then right. The tires screeched. Julia screamed. I stood up, but she tugged on my coat and I had to sit down again.

Something struck the left side of the bus, near where we were sitting. Julia's screams accentuated the noise of screeching tires and scratching metal. I felt the bus losing its balance, tipping to the right. I wrapped my arms around Julia, covered her head with my free hand, and yelled for her to duck.

The bus totted to the right, and completely tipped over. Then something that felt huge hit it again. This time it hit Julia's side. She screamed. Shards of glass exploded all around us. I felt something hard and solid hit the back of my head.

The last thing I remember before I passed out was the sound of Julia's screams. She was screaming my name.