19 | Reckless Hearts

The sky ripped open with roars of gunfire, heaven's artillery tearing across the street.

You tripped forward in a blind dash as the rain lashed at you from above, obscuring your vision and quelling the noise of traffic as it raced past, spraying you with muddy water.

Trust you to be caught out in such weather.

Pulling the collar of your jacket over your mouth, you bowed your head against the rain and pressed onwards through the town square. You'd been sent to retrieve important documents from a secure location within Yokohama's busy urban quarter, but nobody had thought to warn you of the impending storm.

Damn mafia dogs.

You were almost drenched to the bone when all of a sudden you couldn't feel it anymore.

Skidding to a stop, you lifted your head to the black material now fanned out above you, rebounding droplets of water back onto the street. For a split second, your heart skittered a beat, until you turned your head fully and discovered a shock of white hair rather than black.

"A-Atsushi-Kun," you exclaimed, unable to impede the disappointment in your voice. "Thank you."

The boy sighed, reaching up to loosen the tie from his neck as he held the umbrella at a crooked angle. "You shouldn't be out in this weather," he murmured with a sheepish glance at the hair plastered to your head, water droplets glistening from your nose. "C'mon."

The two of you seemed to have a mutual destination in mind, for neither of you needed prompting when you turned into the small, overhanging porch that heralded the teahouse you had frequented in the past few weeks.

"You thought I was someone else back then, didn't you?" Atsushi ventured in a subdued voice. His eyes didn't quite meet yours as you took a seat in the far corner of the room, wringing the water from your hair.

You ignored his question, pursing your lips in silent contemplation.

"Dazai told me about you and Akutagawa."

Your eyes shifted to his suddenly, catching him off guard as his cheeks flushed pink. "That bastard," you cursed, making the boy flinch. "What exactly did he tell you?"

A small sweat broke out across his forehead, Adam's apple bobbing visibly in his throat. "I'll get us some tea, then we'll talk. Though... do you promise not to, uhm, kill me or anything."

You loosened your posture, allowing a short, humorless laugh. "I'm here on personal business. I promise I won't kidnap you, or kill you, or cause you any harm," you listed as if swearing an oath, holding your hand against your chest for dramatic effect.

Apparently satisfied, he left you with a bow and padded slowly over to the counter. You turned your attention to the window, a sigh parting your lips as you watched rivulets of water race down the glass, pooling along the window pane below, and wondered how Akutagawa was getting on. He seemed to have been getting more distant lately, disappearing for long periods of time without telling anyone and neglecting his duties around base. Chuuya had made a frequent habit of pointing out to you the fact that he hadn't acted like this until you came back. But you figured it was his illness; perhaps the winter nights closing it were affecting his chest.

Atsushi interrupted your thoughts as he pulled out the chair opposite - the wooden legs dragging against the floor - and settled into it with a stifled grimace.

"I'm sorry about before - trying to trick you and whatnot."

He fidgeted in his seat, drumming his fingers softly against the underside of the table. His mottled eyes were now downcast, imbued with unease. If he felt so uncomfortable around you, why did he choose to stay?