Chapter Thirteen

"So... Can you tell us what happened now?" I question the slightly shivering form of the girl I continued to consider my best friend.

"Y-Yeah... Where should I start?" She responds, gripping on to her mug of tea as if it would disappear.

"How about why you started a fight with Andy?" Luke growls, anger clear on his face.

"Yeah, that's probably a good place." She weakly laughs. "It's a really long story."

"We have time." I respond, wrapping an arm around Luke as we sat on the opposite side of the table, the kitchen silent after my statement.

"Well, um, you remember Darryn?" She paused as I nodded. 

"I don't," Luke spoke up.

"He was my ex-boyfriend and he was involved in some bad... things. He didn't tell me until I told him I loved him, about 5 months into our relationship. When he told me i tried to leave him, but he wouldn't let me. He said if I left him he would send the gang after me and bring me back. I didn't think he was serious to I left, that's why I was on edge this winter. After February came around I figured I would be safe so I relaxed. I went back to living my life and even got a job at the little coffee shop downtown, Jade's Java, the really cheesy one? Well, anyway, it turns out he was serious. One day I had the night shift and after I locked up the shop and got my bike I noticed someone in the alleyway between the shop and the library next door. I beat it and headed home but I didn't get there fast enough. Darryn was waiting for me on my porch, I tried to sneak around back but he saw me-"

"Red, I-"

"Let me finish," She held up her hands. "I ended up finally getting back into my house but I was still beaten up badly. Mom was coming downstairs for a glass of water and saw me before I could clean the blood off my face. That was last Monday, it's happened 3 times since, and Mom decided to take it into her own hands when my eyes swelled up so much I couldn't see. Darryn was arrested but they're moving me to keep me safe in case he gets out or some of his members look for me." She took a deep breath, eyes slightly watering with the memory.

"Why would you start a fight with me?" I quietly asked, trying to meet her eyes.

"I didn't want you to be dragged down for being my friend. I thought it was pretty stupid but then I found out I was moving and I didn't want you to be hurt very much since I'm not supposed to be telling you all of this. I figured if I could get you to hate me you would be fine when I left, but then lover boy over here came over and called my bullshit. He told me how much it hurt you and I couldn't leave knowing I didn't give you a reason. So now you see, I didn't trip and fall on anything when I got these," She motioned to the bruises littering her face and arms. 

"Oh, Red." I sighed, standing up and pulling her into my arms.

"You're not mad?"

"You tried to protect me, how can I be mad for that?" I laugh, squeezing her tighter.

"I have a question." Luke quietly states from across the table. "Not to be inconsiderate, but how much longer do you have before you leave?"

"I leave next Saturday," She sighed, pulling away from our embrace.

"It's already Thursday night, we only have about a week" I frown, sitting down beside Luke once again.

"A week's better than a day." He responds, placing a gentle kiss to my temple.

I shrug in response as Red continues to look at us, as if we were separated by more than a table,

~~~

"Okay, you're leaving tomorrow. We need to make tonight the best night you've ever had." I tell Red as I continue to pull various strands of her hair back into the braid I was creating.