Chapter 10: Holy Guacamole That's a Baby

"Your part is always your past.  Even if you forget it, it remembers you," ~ Sarah Dessen, What Happened to Goodbye.

* * *

An annoying ringing sound filled my ears making me burrow into the comforter of the bed curling into a ball hoping to block the sound from coming into my ears.  The sound seemed to go on forever only growing stronger before it stopped greeting with a nice welcome silence.  I breathed a sigh of relief, but it was a moment too soon as the ringing started up again.

"Calypso!" I heard Bracken shout from somewhere down the hall, "Would you please answer your phone instead of letting it ring?"

"What?" I shouted back at her not really hearing her due to the ringing in my ears.

"Answer your goddamn phone Calypso!  The ringing is annoying on echoing through the halls!" Skye yelled back at me coming down to the room and throwing a throw pillow that belonged on the couch at me.  I shot up in bed and kicked off the comforter to throw the pillow back at her, but she was already down the hall by the time I threw it.

"Hello," I say into my phone picking it up but not checking the caller ID as I placed it upon my ear.

"Hey Calypso, it's Dakho.  Did I wake you up?  You sound a little groggy as if you just woke up," he said into the phone making me fully wake up.  I hadn't seen or spoken to him since I last saw him at the frozen yogurt place a few days ago.  Iris kept reassuring me that he was definitely going to call me because "he's totally into you."  I had been doubtful through leading us to forming a bet on it he would contact me or not.  guess who owes her lunch now.

"Oh no.  No you didn't wake me up.  My roommate did by throwing a pillow at me because my phone was ringing," I explain to him not wanting him to know that he actually did wake me up and that I didn't want to answer my phone.

"You don't need to lie to me if I did wake you up," he said to me laughing as if he didn't believe a word that I said.

"But it's true!" I tell him, "She threw a throw pillow at my face!"

"Ok sure what ever you say," he says though I could picture him rolling his eyes still not believing it, "So the reason I called is to ask if you were busy today."

"No I have off today why?" I asked him getting up to go check on Elliot in his bed.  He was playing with some action figures that Skye had gotten him while I was at work the other day to keep him occupied.

"Have you heard about the fair that's in town this weekend?" he asked me causing me to freeze in place.

"There's a fair in town here?" I asked him shocked having not heard anything from Bracken or Skye who have lived here for about four years.

"There's a fair?  Where?" Elliot asked throwing his toys down on the bed and jumping up off the bed and grabbing at my legs.  "I wanna go!  I wanna go!"

"Elliot please be quiet I'm on the phone," I tell him patting him on the head and gesturing for him to go back to playing with his toys on the bed.

"Who's Elliot?" Dakho asked making me want to smack myself for not mentioning Elliot before.  I mean what would he say knowing that I have a four year old son at nineteen?

"Oh um he's my son," I say meekly, "If I go to the fair with you, he'd have to come since nobody can watch him today."

"That's fine.  Really I love kids!  You should've mentioned him before!" he says surprising me by his reaction, "Tell little man he can come and that I'll be there in about twenty minutes."