Chapter 4

“Listen Rick; just tell me what’s going on.”  We race down the halls of the prison, and I am hardly able to get a good look at my future home. I do notice that the people here have been working really hard to get it looking this nice.

            I bring myself to a halt stopping Rick along with me. He turns around and stares at me with confusion. “Listen,” I begin, “I am very grateful that you people are taking me in, although I do not like being man handled through a prison without being told anything. I feel like I am being arrested. May I ask what my charges are officer?” I flash a light smile trying to lighten the mood.

            Rick rolls his eyes slowly, placing his hand on the back of his neck and rolling it in a disapproving circle. “Annabel, Martinez, well he – Michonne will explain.” With that he takes off once again in front of me.

            Who the hell is Michonne and what does she have to do with me and Martinez?  I guess I will find out in time, everything revolves around time now. Sometimes things happen way to fast, and other times you have to wait a painstakingly long time.

            I didn’t see many people on my walk from cell block C, but one person I did recognize was crossbow man. When I walked down one of the many passageways I saw him, his eyes watched my gait as I walked. I couldn’t help but look back at his mysterious face.

            Rick and I walk down a dirt driveway that heads to a gate. Surrounding the drive way is a large open field, which has a little farm on it. My stomach growls at the thought of fresh produce.  If they have enough tomatoes, maybe I could make some spaghetti for them. I use to make it all the time for my family. “It’s a nice farm.”

            Rick continues to walk forward but says, “I keep up with most of the gardening, I could always use some helping hands.” I’m not sure if that means he is asking me or telling me I should help him sometime.

            “I had you pegged for a leader.” I walk faster trying to keep up with his long strides. He then slows down coming to a complete stop, “That’s not how we do things here. We have learned that no one man can do the job on his own.” With that he turns back around to guide the way to Michonne.

            About 100 feet away is a women loading up a car. Rick picks up his speed towards her, this must be Michonne.

            “Michonne!” Rick shouts out to her. As soon as she turns around I recognize her, as the women in the woods.

            When we reach her she speaks to Rick, “Whatcha need?” She glances over at me for a second and then back to Rick. “We have something that could help you find the Governor.” Rick states.

            Once again questions come into my head, but I keep my mouth shut. Michonne’s eyes go wide towards me. “Does the name Caesar Martinez mean something to you?” As soon as I say this anger rises in her eyes, and for a second I am scared for my life.

            “What do you know?” she blurts out anxiously, “Um,” I begin and look back at Rick, he nods in approval. “He killed my mother… So I killed him.” She takes a step closer to me, “Was he with anyone?” I shake my head no back at her.

            For a second I see disappointment in her eyes. I still don’t know anything about this situation.

            “Where’s the place you killed him?” I hesitate to answer. I am horrible at directions. “Well, I am not so sure I could give directions. I remember where it is though.” Michonne has an upset look on her face.