Chapter 27 & 28

Chapter 27

WE SPENT THE NEW FEW hours going over the case as Jenkins recalled it. Zachery had read the entire contents of the record boxes and could relate to most of what Jenkins said. But what Jenkins did offer was a live recounting, not something simply documented and left for interpretation.

"So why didn't you refer the case to the FBI?" Paige asked the question of Jenkins.

We were all seated around the table in the cramped office. An evidence file box had been pushed to the middle of the table to allow room for an extra-large pizza box. The pizza brought in for a late lunch had disappeared in a record time of twenty minutes.

"And what, let you have the glory?" Jenkins smiled at Paige, and she returned it. "There wasn't any immediate danger. No evidence the killer would strike again."

"There were eleven bodies in shallow graves."

"Yes, but no evidence to indicate there would be more victims. The last victim was pegged two years before the find."

"But that was the estimated time between kills. Some were two years apart, some one. The one year, two people were killed. You couldn't have based it on that." Jack had a tight grip on his pop can. "You made a risky decision." The implication wasn't missed by Jenkins.

"It's my fault more people have died?"

"It could have been prevented."

Paige intervened. "How did you find out about our case? I mean it's great you're here to help, but—"

I picked up on the not-so-subtle glare Jack projected at Paige.

Jenkins snapped open a can of pop and pulled off the tab. "Gets caught in the 'stache." He took a swig.

"But how did you find out? The open case we're investigating hasn't been reported in the papers."

"Your open case I know nothing about. But I still have friends in the department. They know the stakes I have in the Symbolic killer case."

I glanced over at Jack. Maybe it was time we let the retired detective in on our case. After all, he had too much to lose by exposing the case to the public. "We call him the Redeemer."

Jenkins's eyes squinted, pinching the skin around his eyes and showcasing more wrinkles inflicted from the passing of time and a hard life. "It has a sort of ring to it. I take it with your case he also carved the symbol into the vic's torso?"

"Not exactly."

Jack rose from the table. His focus honed in on me. "We don't share details of an open case with a civilian."

"Agent—"

"Supervisory Special Agent Harper. It's not up for discussion or debate. You are here to help us not get in the way. Those were the ground rules to not kicking you out the door on your ass."

Jenkins rose to match Jack. Both men were the same height, making for even eye contact. "You need my help."

"That has yet to be seen." Jack pulled out a cigarette, perched it in his lips, and went to leave the room when his cell rang. He answered, "Harper."

"What not Supervisory Special Agent Harper? Guess he cuts down when he answers a phone to save time," Jenkins said this to the rest of us as he dropped back into his chair.

I caught Paige smirking again. This time she didn't bother to hide it.

Seconds later Jack spun around to face us. "We have the same rough timeline as did the detective here. Just every one to two years."

Eleven (Brandon Fisher FBI Series)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें