Chapter 10 - Along

I hung up the call as we said bye to each other over it. Yuji, he's a nice guy right?

The clock on the wall practically told me it was past morning by now. Mom comes home at 1, an hour before school would let out. So I'll only have one more beating before I could sneak out tonight.

'Hey hey.'

"Fuck off please. I'm in a good mood so don't ruin it for me, that'd be wonderful." I take a sip from my coffee before groaning, being annoyed quite badly.

'You may get hurt along the way, maaaaybe you should bring someone along with you?'

I tried imitating its extended words. "Like whoooooo?" The sass was too noticeable perhaps.

'That redheaded sadist perhaps?'

My hand couldn't help it. I facepalmed myself. "Okuda said pretty damn clearly that I shouldn't even think about him. If I get him involved or even hurt, she'd freak. I've never seen the outcome but I feel like I shouldn't mess with that chemist's orders. I really, really don't wanna know."

'Aw, c'mon. He keeps your spirits up so you won't feel like giving up.'

"A minute ago you were against even thinking about what he was doing. What's gotten into you... can I call you an imaginary friend at this point?"

'Fuck off.'

Legs that were attached to the ground of mines were now in midair as my knees connected with the table. My chair tipped downwards, making me almost fall over. "Tonight, I'll make up for Koro-sensei's death, for the class's depressed attitude."

'Doubt that big time.'
__________

Sooner or later my mom came home, wearing a fake smile. I swallowed hard as she chuckled at my shaking arms and probably legs.

She took a few steps closer, enough to slap me right across the face. I clenched my teeth, waiting for it, but my bangs were held up instead. The sounds of strands tearing rang, even though my screams took up most of the sounds with me being the source.

"Nagisa~" her singsong voice calling my name made me shut up. "Quiet down dear. Now, why didn't you tell me there was no school today?" Her nails dug into my scalp.

"I-I didn't know. K-Karma told me this morning so, I, went straight back home." My voice was raspy to avoid grunting due to the pain she was causing me. Luckily she let go. I wiped off the blood on my head before she started to make lunch.

She started up the oven and took out some acorn noodles. "Karma? That old friend of yours?"

I'm actually really surprised she remembered that. "Y-Yeah. He's in my class for this year actually. Do, you remember him?"

"Isn't he that handsome fella who came over a couple of times for a 'project' during second year?" She took her hands off the counter to make the air quotes.

I furrowed my eyebrows, wanting to know what she meant by that. "Why the air quotes?"

"Because something tells me he wasn't just here for a project, Nagisa. I'm not dumb you know? Well perhaps, you wouldn't know," she insulted. It was true though.

Most of the other students were either put in E-Class because they broke a rule or was really only good at one subject while failing the others. Even with me being in D-Class, I still couldn't bring my grades up. Landing me in the so-called worst class.

"N-No, I didn't."

"That's fine Nagisa. As long as my little girl stays healthy and brings her grades up this year, I won't mind."