Chapter 3

As I walked beside the forest I heard something around me. I froze and spun. A man who was wearing a soldiers’ uniforms was walking slowly towards me with his sword drawn. I glanced around and saw three more soldiers walking towards me their swords also drawn. I backed away from them and then my eyes narrowed as I realised that they were cornering me. I was surrounded. The forest was behind me and they were covering my escape.

 “Come with us quietly and we won’t have to hurt you,” the oldest one in the middle said. His voice was harsh. I glanced around me. All the soldiers were staring at me with the same harsh look.

 I reached down and pulled out my sword, holding it in a defensive position in front of me. “I’m not going anywhere with you,” I growled at him putting as much steel as I could into my trembling voice.

 “Fine.” The man leaned back and then leaped at me. Something inside of me told me to crouch and jump, so I did. The man stumbled past me his face shocked. I heard a sound of metal behind me and turned. My arms brought my sword up in a desperate parry as the man struck at me. My arms exploded with pain and his sword struck mine in the shower of sparks. At that moment I knew that I was outnumbered and could not win.

 Something inside of me, told me what to do. I dropped to the ground, and kicked the soldiers’ legs. He fell backwards collapsing with a grunt on top of the other two soldiers. I heard the older man coming up behind me and twisted my grip on the sword. I flung my hand backwards, ramming the hilt of my sword into the soldiers’ stomach. As he doubled over gasping, I twisted kicking out the soldiers legs from under him. Then pushing my sword back into its sheath, I turned and ran into the forest, knowing that if I went down the track they would catch me.

 I raced through the forest grimacing in pain as branches whipped at my face. I pumped my legs harder and kept running as fast as I could until I couldn’t hear any signs of pursuit behind me. Then I broke into a clearing and bent over hand in knees gasping for air. My vision flashed with darkness until I regained my breath. Then I lifted my head up and looked around.

 With a jolt, I realised that this was the clearing that I had seen while I was unconscious. My breath caught. Was the glowing green rock I had seen here as well? I recognised the bushes, and ran to them, falling on my knees as I dug through the dirt. I gaped in amazement at the green rock that I saw before me.

 Hesitantly, I picked it up. It started vibrating and then it glowed. It was so bright that I should have had to look away but I couldn’t. It was like I could see straight through the burning light. The green rock exploded and the remnants suddenly fell to the ground around me disappearing as soon as they touched the ground.

 Then in my hands I was holding a small creature. It opened its eyes and it was like I knew everything. The creature was telling me that it was a dragon. A male dragon. His skin, a stunning green shone like a jewel. His deep green eyes looked into mine, with happiness. He unfurled something from his sides and I realised that they were wings.

 Then he seemed to be enveloped in green flames. They shot out from him enveloping me too. I felt myself being lifted from the ground and my dragon floated of my hands, our eyes sill locked. Then my hands flung onto either side of my body and it felt like all my energy was being drained from me. Somehow, I knew that I was giving the energy was my dragon to live, and at the same time connecting us together. I could see my silver aura flowing from me into him, his own green aura flowed into me.

 My body jerked wildly with pain as I felt my body being drained with energy, then before my eyes I could see my dragon growing bigger and bigger in front of my eyes. He towered over me, the size of two houses. He was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen and I knew exactly what I would name him. “Eridor” I whispered through the pain. Then I was falling to the ground. I felt something I couldn’t recognise catch me.