Someday: Chapter 5

CHAPTER FIVE

A Life is Nothing More Than a New Transfer Student

THE FIRST THING I did when I woke up was to sigh. The next thing I did was to wonder why the dream didn’t come. Third, I remembered the phrase, “I’ll see you tomorrow.” Lastly, I sighed again since I figured that this day wouldn’t be any different from other days. There was nothing special today. It was going to be boring like every other day.

I got up and prepared myself to go to school. I took a bath, I ate, I watched the sunrise, and I did everything else I had to do on a normal weekday morning.

As I opened the door to go outside my apartment, I was met face to face with Aika with her fist in front of my face, and Hana, who was standing behind her.

“What-,” I started to say as Aika knocked on my face.

“What?” I asked again as I stepped back and held my nose, the victim of Aika’s knock.

“Ah. Sorry,” Aika said, bringing her arm down. “It’s your fault for opening the door without warning.”

“Why do I have to warn anyone?” I asked. “It’s my door.”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah,” Aika waved her hand to shut me up. “You argue about such trivial things.”

“Well, I’m sorry for opening my door,” I said, still rubbing my nose.

“Well, anyway, let’s go,” Aika said as she gestured towards me and Hana.

While passing over the bridge on the way to school, I stopped at the same place where I first spotted the three kids throwing rocks at the bird which I brought home.

“Hm? What’s up, Torph?” Hana stopped walking and turned around to ask.

Aika stopped as well to look at me. “Reminiscing your bird friend?”

“Um. Yeah. It’s nothing,” I replied. “Let’s go.”

“Well, if you say so...” Hana said.

“Why do you miss that bird so much anyway?” Aika asked as she started walking again.

“I don’t know,” I replied, too lazy to think of a proper answer.

“I wanted to see your avian friend,” Hana said, tears forming in her eyes.

“And why are you crying?” Aika asked.  “We’re at the middle of the marketplace.”

“So-sorry. It’s just that Torph lost a friend of his...” Hana replied, not trying to wipe her tears.

I sighed and pulled out a handkerchief from the back pocket of my pants. When she was still alive, my mother once said that a gentleman should always keep a handkerchief with him for emergencies such as these. It proves useful.

I went in front of Hana, held her face in my left hand, and wiped her tears. “Don’t cry for me. Please?”

“O-okay,” Hana said as she got the handkerchief I offered.

“Hey,” Aika called out to us, “if we don’t start moving, we’re gonna be late.”

“Right,” I said as I got Hana’s right hand in my left and started pulling her, “I’m sorry. We’re coming.”

“Thanks, Torph,” Hana whispered as she wiped her eyes.

“Sure,” I looked at her and smiled. “What are friends for?”

While Hana and I were talking, Aika walked to my other side opposite of Hana, and held my hand.

“You won’t get ahead, Aoki,” Aika hissed as she pulled me towards her.