Chapter 2

One day after my sisters had just gotten home from shopping, Mother rushed in with a big smile on her face. Excited, she told us that the Prince was holding a grand ball! Not only that, but all the ladies in the kingdom were invited to attend!

Prince Ethan Radain... I had seen pictures of him at school and in my sisters' room. I had to admit he was cute and could see how he had so many fangirls. Sighing softly I could just imagine his laugh and easy grin as he sat next me...

"But Mother, Cinderaen can't go of course," Kat said, interrupting my day dream. "After all, how will she have to time to do Vicki's hair, my hair, and her own?"

I wanted to scream with rage, but my mother looked at the expression on my face and quickly agreed with Kat.

"It will be a chance for you to have some quiet time to yourself, Raen," Mother claimed. Yeah right, as if I needed that. Somehow I have to get to that ball.

✱✱✱✱✱✱✱

That night when I had just finished changing for bed, my stepmother came into my room unexpectedly. I quickly dove under my blankets since it was fairly easy to tell I was male through my thin nightgown.

"Raen," Mother whispered softly, "Please don't be upset with me. I only said that so your sisters wouldn't be angry, but do not worry. You will go to the ball, I promise."

If fairies are real, I swear that my stepmother must have been one sent to protect and help me.

After making this promise, Mother came and sat down next to my bed, stroking my long black hair. This gesture was so unexpected and loving that I broke out into tears. How could she love me and be so kind to me when I had been lying to her and everyone else my entire life?

"There, there... Oh, don't cry, Raen. It's okay, I'm right here..." She softly comforted me, "When you go to the ball you'll be the prettiest girl there, alright?"

When I heard this I decided that I couldn't keep lying to her. She deserved to know the truth. About everything.

"I-I need... I need to t-tell you s-something..." I stuttered, slowing raising myself up so I was sitting upright. "Y-you might be v-very angry, but pl-please unders-stand.

"Of course, Raen. How could I ever hate you?" My stepmother said calmly, her eyes glued to me.

Sighing and ashamed, I slowly lifted the blankets off myself and stood up. I closed my eyes, waiting for Mother to lash out or say something. When nothing came, I gradually opened my eyes and say her gaze flickering up and down my body. Embarrassed, I sat back down and covered my crotch.

Then, taking a deep breath, I explained everything. How Father had never wanted a son. Why I had been forced into this fake personality.

For a while she said nothing, then asked just one simple question.

"What is your real name?" I was speechless. I could only ever remember being called Cinderaen, never had it occurred to be that my father had named me something else.

"I... I'm not sure. Cinderaen is the only name I remember..." I shrugged, names had never really seemed important to me. "But you're not upset or anything? I mean..." I gestured to my waist. She shook her head.

"That's not to say I'm not surprised, though. Raen, you're a very beautiful young lady, and, now that I know, an extremely handsome young man."

Letting out a sigh, Mother leaned back and said, "A promise is a promise though. I will still help you go to the ball, but you must tell none of this to your sisters. Okay?"

I happily agreed and laid back down to sleep. Once I heard Mother leave I smiled to myself. It felt wonderful to tell someone my secret. It was as if a great weight had been lifted from my spirit. I could hardly wait for the ball to arrive!

That night I dreamed of dancing with countless suitors at the ball and of all the marvelous food and dresses that would be there. I didn't dare think of Ethan, the prince. After all, how would I ever explain myself to him if he were to meet me?