white lie

My period was 3 weeks late, I totally freaked I had no one to turn too. so here goes I dialled the Linfield's home line...

"hello.." Mrs Linfield answered

"hi, can I speak to J-Jake" I stuttered

"yes, ill just go call him" she responded

I didn't know what I was going to say before the phone call I was going over a speech in my head 'Jake, I'm think I'm pregnant.'

"hey." Jake said casually

"Jake?"

"Sophie? what's up?" he sounded concerned

I couldn't bring myself to say it, just then I felt the need to bring my lunch up... I hung up the phone and ran to the bathroom. Sitting on the bathroom floor I brought my knees up to my chest and cried, I let it all out just as my world fell apart there was a knock on the door.

"Sophie honey, are you ok?" my mums soft voice made me cry silently even more

"yes mum." I choked out over soft sobs

It was the start of a new week again, I pulled up outside of Ella's house she hurried towards my car and smiled softly, the look she gave me while climbing in the passenger side made me wonder if she could read minds... 'did she know my situation?' she couldn't of done no one knew apart from me.

Before I knew it, it was lunch time I decided to go to the chemist and buy a pregnancy test. walking round the chemist I pretended to be looking at anything but the pregnancy tests, 'it was too obvious.' I was to ashamed to go straight to the pregnancy test packs, I plucked up the courage and picked two different makes, I needed two just in-case the first one never worked.

Making my way back to school I decided to make a detour for the mall, while walking about I noticed a sign in the window 'shop assistant wanted' I made my way into the clothes shop 'I've wanted a job for a while now, but if I was pregnant I really needed a job.' while walking towards the counter a small petite, blonde haired woman, not much older then 24 walked towards me she greeted me with a broad smile, I gave one back.

blonde woman: "how can I help you today miss?" she said sweetly

"I saw the sign in the window, I would like to apply for the job." I announced while handing my CV over, 'yes I carried CV's around I was optimistic what can I say'

blonde woman: "have you any experience?" she asked

I blushed "no, that's not a bad thing is it?"

blonde woman: "no, when could you start?"

"I could start after school today." I joked but I meant it because I could of done

blonde woman: "you have the job, be here by half 3 I will sort a schedule out for you this afternoon, i will train you up you don't need to worry about that." 

I thought to myself 'they must be really desperate, to give me the job straight away.'

"thank you, I wont be late" I stated while walking out the store.

I got to school just in time for the second bell 'yes I was late for class, that never happens.' i walked to my locker and guess who was there... Jake!

"hey, why did you phone the other night Sophie?" he asked

i rolled my eyes "I didn't." I lied

"oh, well it sounded like you?" he said confused

"nope, it wasn't me." I lied again.. What did it matter I had been lying quite a bit lately.

"Sophie, have you had your period thing yet?" he blushed while whispering to me

I didn't want to talk about that now because I was having heart palpitations because I might actually be pregnant. so I walked away from him he ran in front of me

"answer me" he pushed, not giving him eye contact I tried to walk away, he went to grab my arm while my bag slipped of my should and onto the floor while one of the pregnancy test flew across the floor.

I panicked and tried to pick it up before he noticed what it was. Jake beat me to it he picked it up and looked at it, he closed his eyes for a couple of seconds and stepped towards me, i could feel his anger... Mr Clark walked towards us

"everything ok here Sophie" he must of noticed my distress and Jake's anger, and Jake panicked and put the test in his bag without thinking

"yes, sir" I choked

"good, now get to class before you get a detention" he stood and watched me slip away from the piercing look Jake was wearing.

That night I flopped onto my bed after a hard day of school, and work- it felt good to say that..

Both my parents were away on  business trips they had been for the past week and a half, so I stayed home from school, I told my parents a little white lie telling them I was ill from the flu, but I was only ill because I suspected I was pregnant.. I still hadn't taken the test I was too scared. I also stayed of school because I just didn't want to face Jake or anyone else for that matter, but it was quite difficult because I had work everyday at 3pm. it was also hard to not see anyone because my mum insisted for Mrs Linfield to come round and check on me every other hour before work So there was the knock I had been expecting it was 9am and I dragged my self of the couch and answered the door too...

"what are you doing here?" I said in surprise

"my mum sent me over to make sure you weren't dead." Jake said

"that's a bit extreme, I've only got the flu" I lied

"so your not trying to avoid me?" Jake said while stepping past me and inviting himself in my house

"don't flatter yourself Jake, course I'm not" I lied again

he shook his head and laughed, as we reached the front room I wrapped myself in my blanket and slumped back onto the couch, Jake sat beside me making himself at home.

"why aren't you in school?" I questioned him

"I'm here to be doctor Linfield, to give my mum a break so she can go get pampered... her words not mine" he suggested

"I don't need babysitting" I said under my breath

"well truth be told I didn't want to go to school, so I simply persuaded mum to let me stay of and she said only if I came and sit round here with you." he said while picking the TV remote up and switching my program off. I scold at him.

he pulled out my pregnancy test the one he put in his bag the other day, he handed me it and nodded towards the toilet.

I knew I needed to get it out the way and learn if I'm going to be a parent or not.. the thing is though I kind of knew because I had the symptoms 'I hadn't had my period this month, I was sick and I was tired all the time'

here goes I took it out the box and did what I needed to do.