A Maid, really?

"Where on earth have you been Isabella?" My mother snapped angrily at her. "You where supposed to be down here an hour ago! How dare you keep us waiting!"
"I'm sorry, I-" She started to explain. In vain.
"No, Isabella! No! When will you understand that this is not acceptable! You will obey our rules while you are under our roof! For your disgraceful attitude you shall have no supper this evening!"
Isabella rolled her eyes at her mother's threat. Like she hadn't made it before, and carried out on it. It didn't matter though. She could always rely on her friend Susie to bring her a scrap of bread.
"Pay attention, and make sure you sit up straight today! This may be your last chance!"
"I will mother, it's just-"
"You really have no idea how lucky you are! Most girls would die for this chance! Working in the master's house!"
"And I would gladly let them die, stupid stuck up snobs." She muttered under her breath. After all, they were the ones always walking around in little groups, pretending to be better than them. Ha! They're nothing more than airheads, Isabella thought fiercely.
"What was that Isabella?" Asked her mother, glaring at her, daring her to answer.
"Nothing." Isabella sighed, regretting even trying to express her own opinions. Even just once.
"That's what I thought." Said her mother, giving her a look that Isabella couldn't quite read. Wait, was she disappointed she didn't give her a valid response and stick to her argument? She gave a louder, more audible sigh. She just couldn't win. Her mother shot her another, equally confusing, look and Isabella have up. You just couldn't win with people like her!, Isabella thought to herself again. She'd have to worry about her mother another day, because she had bigger problems right now. But she couldn't help wondering, as her mother ushered her out of the door, if she would ever get through to her. She glanced back a final time and sighed once more. No, she supposed not. Turning back to the path, she asked herself a more pressing question. Was she really able to be a maid? She considered this for a second before she came to her answer;
No, but she'd have fun trying! And with a small, hopeful smile on her face she set off, hoping that maybe at the Lord's dusty old house there would be some cute boys there, or at least some friends she could make, feeling happier than she had in months. Despite being sent to a job that was quite possibly a death sentence for her, she was, incredibly, happier than she had been in a long time. Maybe, her happiness lay in waiting on rich people? Yeah right. But still, it could be interesting, at the very least. Yes, it was a long shot, she knew, but what was fun about playing by the rules?