The monster

It was far past midnight. Sarah Delaray was still wide awake, as usual.

It was like this every night. She hardly ever slept anymore. She couldn't. She was too scared to even move. She always tried to breath quietly, so as not to disturb the monster. Sometimes, if she could keep really quiet, he would keep quiet as well, and then, after a long time, the girl could drop off into a deep, mercifully dreamless sleep, and sleep for a long, long time.

Sometimes.

But not that night. There it was again. The rustling under her bed. Sarah felt her heart freeze, and her eyes immediately shot wide open. Pulled her duvet cover tightly over her head, she tried to shut out the well known voice that would follow, the one that only she could hear.

Don't be afraid, Sarah. You mustn't fear me.

Sarah squeezed her eyes shut, letting a few salty teardrops roll sideways across her face and plop onto her pillow.

Sarah! Can you hear me? But of coarse you can hear me. You always hear me. I exist so you, and only you, can hear me.

Try as she might, Sarah couldn't suppress a quiet, desperate sob. She was utterly terrified. Why did this always happen? Why couldn't she just sleep?

Don't cry, Sarah. You have nothing to fear while I'm here.

'Yeah I do,' Sarah squeaked. She was surprised by her own courage. Never before had the young girl spoken to the monster.

Why, sister? What have I  ever  done to you to make you loathe me so? I-

'I'm not your sister. I'm Mommy's only daughter,' Sarah cut it. What was wrong with her? When had she become so brave?  She was putting herself in great danger, not to mention her mother. Who knew what this monster was like, what he was capable of? So far he had only terrorized her with creepy 'comforting' words, trying to get her to trust him. But she wouldn't. She wasn't that stupid.

Of coarse you would think that. You trust her so blindly, and yet you don't know anything. You must listen to me, Sarah-

'NO, BE QUIET!,' Sarah yelled. 'I don't want to listen to you anymore! I've had enough! I hate you! I HATE YOU!'

She threw off her covers and jumped across the room, running as she hit the ground. Running to her mother. She hadn't told her about the monster. But now she would. Angeline would help her. Sarah loved her mother, even after the things she had done to her...her head throbbed painfully at the memory. But it was not the time to think about that. She loved her mother and she trusted her. What had happened wasn't Angeline's fault...it was Sarah's, only hers.

No, Sarah! You mustn't go! Stay here with me, please!

Ignoring the voice, she arrived at her mother's bedroom door. She knocked on it, panting.

'Mommy! Mommy? Can I please come in?,'

There was no answer, just silence. Sarah rapped on the door louder.

'Mommy, please! Mommy! Somebody! Please, I'm so scared!,'

Still no answer. She couldn't stand it anymore. She turned the doorknob, bursting into the room. And what she found inside made her blood freeze and her heart skip a beat.

Her mother  was standing in the middle of the room, drenched in something dark. Sarah wouldn't let herself think of what it was. No, no...it wasn't blood. It wasn't.

But she wasn't fooling herself.

And she couldn't figure out a reasonable explanation for her glowing red irises and the talons dripping with dark liquid. Or the fangs her she was now baring at Sarah, for that matter.

'You're scared? Oh, you poor dear. Do you want a hug? Perhaps a kiss?,' Angeline rasped, reaching out towards her with his bloodstained hands, baring her fangs.

 Sarah stood very still, practically paralyzed. Then she heard the monster's voice in her head again.

Get back here, Sarah! Please come back, I'm begging you!

Begging was good enough for Sarah. She spun around and ran as fast as her little legs could carry her, back to her dreaded bedroom, the creature who used to be her mother tearing after her, accompanied by horrible snarls and growls.

Sarah slammed the door of her bedroom and, without thinking, dived under her bed, to where the monster lived.

Hello, sister.