[01]

A chilly day it was, the fresh autumn breeze sweeping up leaves and putting young girls' hairs in mayhem. Avalon sat outside, rubbing her arms incessantly to conserve body heat. There was no scarf around her neck nor an earmuff. Without a jacket, she shivered in the breeze, intently gazing off into the distance. 

Avalon felt her mother's arms lovingly wrap around her as she shook off the cold, reprimanding her for not wearing a jacket. She would be angry at her mother for scolding her, but now she would do anything to get that back. Avalon wanted to hear her mother's voice one more time, no matter what it was. She wanted a chance to say goodbye, gain closure. However there was nothing she could do. Putting her chin in her hands in her chin, Avalon sighed.

Eventually the tears stop. The fatigue, the headaches, the dry mouth, everything is gone - but the pain still remains. The pain is lodged in the throat; leaving everything that's meant to be said, unsaid. It resides in the belly, churning every time it's reminded of her. The pain is rooted in the mind where every thought is about her, to the point where it's impossible to occupy oneself with any other activity except for mourning her. The place where it hurts most however, is at the heart. The pain leaves an empty hole in the heart, an unrepairable damage. There is nothing in the universe that could fill the hole. 

Her spine straightened when she heard footsteps behind her. For a split second, she thought it was her mother, but was disappointed when she  looked back to find that it was only her friend, Marshall, whom she lived with for the time being. Her parents both gone, she needed a place to live before she headed off to college. As an ever loyal friend, Marshall agreed, and now Avalon resides in his room. "Hey, um, Ave wanna come inside?"

There was a pause. "No, Marshall, I - I'll stay outside."

"Are you sure?" His voice was doubtful.

"I'm sure," she said, with certainty. 

Sighing, Marshall went back inside. Avalon stared sadly at his retreating figure. Even though she was demanded she would sit outside, she wouldn't mind his company. Marshall and her have been best friends ever since they both were frolicking around in diapers. Their parents were the best of friends, and their families went back to 1923. The Sylvester and Wayne families were big figures in the small town of Springfield, almost as royalty. 

Even when her world was spiraling out of control, Marshall would keep Avalon grounded. When she felt like she lost everything, she remembers that she haven't lost Marshall. He would never let her thank him though. He always brushed her off with, "I'm your best friend. It's my duty." If she ever protested he would simply say, "You would do it for me."

When Avalon's father's dead body was found in the lake a month ago, she didn't know what to do. No one did. Marshall came over everyday to visit her. He helped the police in trying to find out what happened to Avalon's father. At first, they were very curious, since we had a spark of hope that it may not be her dad. They were certainly in denial. After it was confirmed that it was Avalon's dad after all, they gave up. Avalon wanted to know what happened to her father, but her mother wouldn't agree. She didn't want to know, she wanted to remain oblivious to the entire ordeal. Avalon didn't know what changed her mind, but she ordered the investigation to a stop.