First Thing

Cassandra escaped outside of the hospital, the cold rainy November air hitting her. Her brother went home for the night to sleep in a real bed and he'd be coming back in the morning. She went and sat on a bench. She was sure she only had a limited window, because Alex Karev and George O'Malley was instructed to to check on the girl every thirty minutes and they were on call tonight. So when she pulled out the small blunt from a baggie and lit it, taking a hit so she'd be able to eat this evening it was no surprise.

"What the hell are you doing out here? You'll get sick." Alex said coming over to the brunette.

"I have cancer dumbass. Plus this is medical. It helps me eat." she took another hit and looked at the soon to be doctor, "look I've followed the rules my entire life. Where did it get me? I have cancer. Fucking cancer. I just turned twenty-one, I've never had one single sip of alcohol because I had chemo on my birthday and I was sick the rest of the night." Alex sat down next to the sick girl and looked over at her.

"What were your plans before? You were eighteen, two weeks from graduation."

"I was getting the hell out of here. I had gained a full ride to Oxford for their journalism program. I went to the best private school in the state of Washington. I might have idiotic parents who shouldn't of had children, but I was doing it all for myself. Then life screwed me."

"If you had all this planned? Why the hell are you giving up?"

"You're blunt. I like it. I'm not giving up. I've been doing various forms of the same treatment for four years now. I went from stage three of stage four. I can't take the pain of the treatment anymore. I'm giving in to death. I'm greeting it like an old friend."

"You just quoted Harry Potter."

"Reader too. What's wrong with you? There has to be a flaw."

"I'm emotionally detached. I cheat. I'm not a good guy."

"You're talking to a twenty-one year old virgin who has never had a boyfriend who has cancer. I get emotionally detached."

"No way in hell, you're a virgin."

"Oh, well excuse me. Let me go through the contacts in my phone who are more than willing to fuck a dying girl. This isn't a movie, Alex. This is real life."

"I mean you're still hot."

"Thanks. But I'm apparently to fragile to fuck. We should go back inside. Before George tattles. He looks like someone who'd do that."

"You'd be right."

"How long have you been an intern?"

"This is my first year. I take my test in two weeks."

"That is very exciting. I hope you pass." the two walked back to her hospital room.

"What's the first thing?"

"What?"

"On your list. I'll help you complete it." Cassandra smiled brightly.

"Go on a date." the brunette said, she handed Alex the list and he smiled.

"I'm off tomorrow night."

"Sounds like a date. But you need to promise me one thing."

"Yeah? And what's that."

"Don't fall in love with me."

"I can promise, I won't."

"Good."