Chapter 1

Don't Part With Your Illusions.

When They Are Gone, You May Still Exist,

But You Have Ceased To Live.

-Mark Twain

Kasha couldn't help but stare longingly at the passer-bys. It wasn't that she wished to be like them- oh most definitely not. It wasn't that type of longing she had for them. This was a different longing.

This was a longing for their death.

Normally Kasha preferred to ignore humans- mere mortals. After all, they were beneath her as a lesser species. Plus, she enjoyed a Snydes death much, much more.

But today, she chose to recognize these humans because today, one had gotten on her nerves.

So she would make them all pay.

The stupid human has chosen her bench to sit on in the park.

"Get off!" she yelled at him.

Of course, the human just probably thought she was a crazy lady, and, growing up in the city he seemed to be used to such things. So, he chose to ignore her, Kasha could tell, because he just stared ahead blankly. Not even registering her voice as she yelled at him.

Kasha continued to stare at the boy, trying to pierce into his soul as she liked to call it. Hoping to connect with something deep inside to shake him badly enough so he would jump up, finally, with fear, and leave her alone.

The boy turned to her slowly. "How's it going?" The boy asked, smiling wryly.

Kasha figured the boy was about fourteen or fifteen. A baby compared to her two centuries of life.

The boy started to get a bit nervous after a few minutes of them staring at each other; Kasha neither moving nor blinking. She didn't even answer his question, just continued to glare at him.

The boy shifted uneasily on the bench as a low growl formed deep in Kasha's throat.

It was taking all of her strength of will not to attack the boy right now, in front of all the pedestrians in the park.

But she couldn't do that...she couldn't be caught.

"Weirdo..." The boy muttered and quickly looked away.

Finally, after minutes that felt like an eternity, someone called for the boy.

"Coming!" he yelled back as he got up and left.

Now Kasha was back on her bench- alone.

And angry.

Why hadn't the boy left when she had told him to? Why hadn't he gotten scared and ran when she growled at him? Or stared at him?

Was she losing her edge?

No...Kasha quickly shook the thought away.

And in that moment, the new feeling formed. The longing.

The human had annoyed her. So now she wished them all to pay.

How would she do this though? She was quite certain that a human's death would come simpler and easier compared to hunting a Snyde. But when she hunted, she liked to prolong the death. It made it fun for her- a game of sorts. And she was sure a human would die a lot faster than she wanted.