6

"Chase!" Merlin cried, sort of catching him before he fell but not doing that great of a job about it. "Oh, no." He set Chase down as nicely as he could, gently shaking him. "Chase, wake up." Chase groaned and stirred, wincing.
"Oh, my head," he moaned, scrunching his eyes. "What happened?"
"You tried to run off, and you passed out," Merlin replied. "Are you all right?"
"Yeah, I think so," Chase said, opening his eyes and sitting up. "Ow."
"Are you sure you're all right?" Merlin said. "You're as pale as a ghost."
"No," Chase replied, blinking dizzily. "Merlin, I don't feel good."
"That's okay," Merlin said, setting a hand on his shoulder and pushing him so he's lying down. "It's all right. Just relax. It's not sundown yet. We don't have to go." Chase shuddered, rolling on his side and curling up.
"I'm sore all over," he moaned. "And my head is killing me."
"Well, you can sleep on the horse if you need to," Merlin said. "We have to leave soon."
"Okay," Chase said, grimacing and forcing himself to sit up.
"Don't hurt yourself," Merlin said, setting his hand on his shoulder to help him. "You know, I don't think you should ride. You're not in good condition."
"But they'll find us if we stay in one place," Chase said, wincing in pain as he leaned forwards to stay sitting up.
"We can enchant the cave," Merlin said. "It'll be fine." Chase was about to retort when a branch snapped outside. They both looked over at it and Merlin drew his sword, getting up and walking over to it. He walked outside and stared in surprise at Arthur standing there.
"Merlin?" Arthur said in surprise.
"Arthur?" Merlin responded.
"Why do you have a sword?" Arthur asked, tilting his head. "You aren't even holding it right."
"Uh, no reason," Merlin replied, setting the sword down and smiling. "What're you doing all the way out here so late at night?"
"Trying to find the warlock boy," Arthur replied. "Have you seen him?"
"No," Merlin replied unconvincingly, shaking his head. Arthur tilted his head and walked past Merlin into the cave, his eyes widening when he saw Chase.
"Merlin, I am gonna kill you!" he yelled, drawing his sword and stalking towards Chase, raising his sword for a blow. Chase scrambled to his feet in fear and held his hands out in front of him, creating a shield of shimmering blue light around him. Arthur swung his sword down, striking the shield head on. His sword and the shield shattered upon impact, both Arthur and Chase falling backwards. Merlin watched worriedly from the sidelines as it happened, running over to Chase as soon as it was over.
"Damnit, Merlin!" Arthur yelled, sitting up. "You are DEAD!"
"Please don't kill us," Merlin said, picking up Chase piggyback with some effort. "We're sorry."
"You're helping the sorcerer!" Arthur yelled.
"He's not evil!" Merlin yelled back. "He's only acted in self defense!"
"Look, Merlin, you're probably enchanted," Arthur said. "Give me the boy or I'm going to have you flogged." Merlin stood there and stammered for a couple seconds before letting out a sigh.
"No."