Chapter Seven

"Great StarClan Ravenpaw, just stay still!" Lilyheart sighed trying to examine the black tom's paw.

"I have a stone in my paw, if anyone deserves to be upset it's me!" Ravenpaw snarled.

"Can I leave now?" Dapplepaw meowed glancing over at Ravenpaw with uncertainty.

"Of course dear," Lilyheart purred through gritted teeth, clearly annoyed with Ravenpaw.

"Okay good luck Lilyheart," Dapplepaw meowed casting an amused look at a terrified Ravenpaw.

"Lilyheart come quickly! Hailstorm collapsed!" Mistywing's panicked yowl came from the warrior's den.

"I'll be right there! Ravenpaw don't move I'll be right back." Lilyheart meowed back, beckoning for Leafsplash to join her in case Hailstorm needed to be carried to the Medicine Den.

A few moments later Leafsplash and Lilyheart emerged from the warrior's den and started towards the Medicine Den.

"Will he be okay?" Mistywing, his sister, meowed trying to keep up with the medicine cat.

"I'm not sure yet." Lilyheart grunted trying to keep a steady grip of the large tom.

***

Lilyheart emerged from the medicine den looking defeated.

"You might want to come say your goodbyes now," the medicine cat meowed sadly, slipping back into the den. Amberwind and Quailfeather trotted dejectedly into the den behind Lilyheart, Mistywing hard on their tails. After a long few minutes the three cats came out of the den followed by Lilyheart carrying the body of the revered deputy.

"Great StarClan..." Tornstar meowed quietly.

That night the clan sat vigil for their beloved deputy. Before moonhigh Tornstar leapt onto the rock in the corner of the camp where he usually addressed the Clan from.

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather beneath the high rock for a Clan meeting." Tornstar yowled. Slowly the cats gathered around their leader.

"As you all know by now, Hailstorm has passed away due to unknown reasons. He was not just a deputy. He was a father, a friend, and a brother that will be missed dearly." Tornstar meowed sadly. "I say these words before StarClan so that they may hear and approve of my choice. The new deputy of ThunderClan will be Sunflame. She may be young but she has proved herself a formidable opponent and an incredible hunter and leader." Tornstar meowed more confidently this time.

Sunflame stepped up and leapt onto the rock. "It is a real honor Tornstar. I will serve this Clan to the best of my abilities." Sunflame purred.

Sunflame is a good choice, Dapplepaw thought. She will serve our clan well.