Chapter Nine

Rabbitstep darted into camp, avoiding the flames and flying embers as he followed the voice calling for help. "I'm coming, Willowfrost!" he called, leaping over a fallen branch that blocked the entrance of the Warriors' Den. "Are you in here?"

     Bright green eyes shone from the back of the den and Willowfrost crept forward, her steps wary. "R-Rabbitstep?" she wimpered, panic clear on her face. He nodded and motioned for her to jump over the branch and she did, stumbling when she landed.

     "Are you alright?" he asked worriedly, looking her over as he landed beside her.

     "Y-yeah.. I think so.." she mewed, looking behind her as the den caved in. "That was close," she whispered, looking Rabbitstep in the eyes. "You saved me."

     "I-I guess so," he stuttered, his ears burning. "We should get out of here and find our Clanmates."

     She nodded and licked Rabbitstep's cheek before they darted, side by side, out of the burning camp. Willowfrost stopped and turned around, watching on the ravine-top as the bramble walls surrounding their home crumbled and the camp was completely engulfed. Any longer and they would've been in there. "Our home.." she murmured.

     Rabbitstep padded to stand by her side and rested his tail soothingly on her shoulder. "I know," he sighed. "But we have to go find the others. There's no telling where they've ended up." His darker green gaze rested in hers and she drooped her head.

     "You're right." She casted one last glance at their camp before she turned to follow the medicine cat. "Let's go, then."

     Rabbitstep led the way through the trees, periodically calling out their Clanmates names, even though Willowfrost remained silent. She walked with her head and tail low and her gaze locked on the ground. He cast worried glances over his shoulder every now and then, checking that she was still following.

     "I'm really sorry this happened," he murmured, falling into step with her. He'd given up calling out his Clanmates names. They were gone.

     "They're gone, aren't they?" she whispered, her voice barely audible and her green eyes flitted up to meet his.

     The medicine cat heaved a sigh, his ears drooping. "Yes.. I'm sorry.."

     The grey she-cat shrugged. "It isn't your fault," she said, her voice tight and dull. She sat down and curled her tail over her paws, her gaze shifted to the ground again before she closed her brilliant green eyes. "It isn't anyone's fault.. but StarClan's.." she spat, her eyes flashing open to glare at the sky.

     "Willowfrost, no.. They--"

     "You still have faith in them?" she demanded, leaping her to paws. "How can you? How can anyone when they've willed this upon us?" She began to shake.

     "Willowfrost, calm down," he explained, trying to coax her. "I don't think they had a say in it. They only warned me that--" He was cut off as Willowfrost looked up at him, her eyes furious.

     "They warned you?" she muttered. "And you didn't tell anyone? What is the matter with you?"

     "I was still contemplating what it meant! I didn't know this would.. I- I didn't-.." He let out a hiss. "Nyx was the only one who knew what would happen, and right when he was going to warn us he died!"

     "Nyx is dead?"

     "Y-yes.. StarClan killed him.." he muttered in defeat, his voice raspy. "We would've been too late anyway.."

     Rabbitstep sat down, his head hanging low and his eyes closed. "You're right though," he rasped. "I should've told someone.. Maybe then we would've been prepared.."

     Willowfrost was no longer angry, in fact, she was rather sympathetic. She padded over and sat next to him, twining her tail with his to comfort him.

     "Don't you get it..?" he asked, his eyes clouded. Willowfrost looked at him, confused.

     "ThunderClan is gone.. and it's because of me.."