Midnight

Lucy huddled around the fire with her friends, which illuminated their worried expressions. After today's discovery, Lucy didn't want to be alone. She forced her friends to stay, even if they wanted to find out who was behind the bunny carcasses hanging from the bridge. Lucy didn't like the silence between them, it was deafening to her. However, the silence didn't last long, for Simon spoke.

             "Lucy, I know this is a scary place for investigating, but shouldn't we have fun while we're at it?" Simon asked. 

        "Simon, you're right. I'll get the food from the car." Lucy replied, getting up to go to the car when she noticed something in the distance. A figure hunched over, behind their car. "Simon, Brendan, please come over here now." Lucy called out. The figure turned towards her, then sprinted into the forest. Lucy let out a sigh of relief, but that quickly faded when she realized that their food was stolen. Brendan and Simon immediately ran over to her, but paused when they saw their car. The situation of having someone watching them was bad, but now the food was gone. Lucy heard Brendan curse to himself as he went to inspect the damage. 

              "Brendan, dude, you aren't going to find much." Simon explained. "We should just quit the investigation, pack up the remaining stuff, and leave."

              "Simon, I don't think that'll be easy." Brendan replied. Lucy noticed that Brendan's hands were shaking a bit. However, she couldn't tell if it was from irritation or alarm. She walked over to him.

               "Brendan, what do y-" Lucy immediately stopped herself when she saw the tires were slashed, and a messaged carved into the side of their car. It read,

YOU'RE NEXT...

                Lucy felt a chill down her spine and her heart pounding in her ears. She felt lightheaded, with darkness dancing around her eyes, and the food in her stomach threatening to make an appearance. Lucy felt herself starting to shake, Simon rubbed her back.

                 "Lucy, calm down. We'll be fine. Maybe we can call someone to give us a ride." Simon suggested. Lucy felt herself calm down a little, but she still couldn't shake the feeling of being watched. 

                 "Guys, I'm afraid we can't get a signal out here, and I'm pretty sure the guy who's messing with us, stopped joking after a while." Brendan replied, pointing to the dead bunny in the back seat of their car. That did it. Lucy's lunch was soon splattered over the road. Simon continued to rub her back. 

                "Brendan, you said you knew someone who lived close to this bridge, right?" Simon asked. 

                "Yeah, but it's a five mile walk. Besides I don't think we'll be leaving so soon." Brendan replied.

                 "Why do you say that?"

                  "Because this guy was craving for company."