Chapter 1

-=(+)=-

Hiccup P.O.V

This is Berk. It's twelve days north of Hopeless and a few degrees south of Freezing to Death. It's located solidly on Meridian of Misery.

My village was, in one word, sturdy. It'd been here for seven generations, but every single building was new. We had fishing, hunting, and the charming view of the sunsets. The only problem was the type of pests we had. Other places had mice or mosquitoes, but here, we had...

"DRAGONS!", I heard the adults scream, alerting everyone of the danger. The whole sky filled with the winged creatures as they descended onto the ground to steal our livestock.

Any normal village would probably have moved to another island or hide underground by now, but no! The Hairy Hooligans of Berk were some of the most stubborn Vikings in existence, and they would not give in to dragons attempting to steal their livestock. Their Chief was Stoick The Vast; one of the most legendary dragon killers and well... my father. I'm Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the III. Great name, huh. Around here it was believed that a strange name like 'Hiccup' would scare off gnomes and trolls.

Actually, I was a disgrace to my father, who looked down at me like some kind of failure and mistake. I was very different to my fellow Vikings, due to my lack of muscles and size. My father ignored me and didn't make an effort to help me get stronger. At this point, I had accepted that I was different from others, and that I was more brains than brawn. However, even though I had accepted who I was, other people didn't. Since I didn't belong in the battlefield, I served as an apprentice to Gobber, the village's blacksmith. I had plenty of time to work on my inventions thanks to my abilities which were not used very often by the villagers, who instead preferred to ignore me. During the raids, I usually sharpened weapons, but today, I finished my brand new invention that would greatly help when we fought against the dragons!

It was a Bola Launcher, and it could fire bolas much, much, further than any Viking could ever hope to. I dragged my new weapon through the building until I was just outside of the workshop, and I attempted to calibrate it. As I was calibrating the new weapon, I heard many screams from outside, as fellow Vikings were slaughtered by dragons. I also heard countless screeches coming from the dragons that were being murdered by the Vikings. All in all, it was a blood-bath. Just then, everything went silent, and all I heard was an all too familiar screech.

"NIGHT FURY!"

Many of the Vikings screamed as they ran for cover. The Night Fury was the most dangerous of all dragons. It was the fastest dragon, easily double the speed of it's brothers, and it hunted silently, always hidden away into the darkness of the night, and when it fires it's deadly bolt, it never misses. I decided not to bother the Night Fury for today. Today, I would impress my father, and at long last, I would not be the village weakling any more. I would shoot down an airborne dragon and prove to my father that I was useful!

Once the Bola Launcher was out of the Forge and was successfully calibrated, I started to aim it when I heard stomping feet. I had a feeling I knew what was coming...

"HICCUP!"

It was my father who was now running towards me with anger in his eyes. His wild ginger hair certainly didn't make me any less intimidated of his appearance.

"HICCUP! What are you doing here?! Get back in the forge and sharpen those weapons!"

I was finally ready to introduce my weapon to him, maybe he will appreciate me for once.

"Look, dad, I made this Bola Launcher that launches bola's further than any Viki-"

I watched in horror as my father completely ignored my explanation for the weapon and smashed it with his hammer, unintentionally launching a bola into the air. I couldn't believe it, all of this work and my father had chosen to ignore it and destroy it!