Chapter 16- A Very Hogwarts Christmas

The next morning, I remain in the school while most of the other students are taken down to the train station. Only a few others, who were planning to spend Christmas at the school also, stay behind. I'm glad I'm not the only student not going home over the holidays.

Five others remain, a first-year boy from Hufflepuff, a fifth-year Slytherin, and three Gryffindor third-years. Looking around at the remaining students, I suddenly realize how long of a break this was going to be.

****************

As soon as the huge group of students had cleared out to head home, the six of us spend a few seconds looking at one another. Then, the three Gryffindors turn and head off, talking quietly. The Slytherin took this as his opportunity to get away also, leaving me staring at the small, mousy, Hufflepuff boy. He looks around awkwardly, unsure of whether he should say anything. I pluck up some courage and speak first.

"Hi. How are you?" I ask politely. He glances around, but there's no one to come to his aid, so he answers nervously,

"I'm good, er, how are you?"

"I'm alright. What's your name?" I smile as warmly as I can muster.

"Adam Caldwell. Yours?" he replies.

"Avery Carter," I tell him. We are both awkwardly silent for a few seconds, then I speak again.

"I, uh, I'm going to head back to my common room. . . See you around, Adam." I smile a little bit.

"You too," he replies, glancing quickly between me and the ground. I can't stay trying to make conversation with him, so before I can change my mind I turn and walk off as quickly as I can.

I head straight for my common room, but I have to take a detour halfway there due to Peeves causing a ruckus on the fourth floor. I eventually make it to Ravenclaw tower, and collapse in a chair in front of our fireplace. I'm the only Ravenclaw here. I'm not sure if this Christmas break is going to be a lovely or lonely.

******************

I don't leave the common room until lunchtime, I fill the several hours doing most of the little homework the first years were assigned over the break. A six inch transfiguration essay and a charms assignment are both done in that time frame, and I start practicing the most common form of a shield charm for Defense Against the Dark Arts before I get considerably hungry.

The Great Hall is serving lunch as normal, however, instead of the four house tables taking up the room, they have been Vanished and in their place sits a small table that has been loaded with food. Besides teachers, there are only six of us staying over. There's no need for us to sit at our huge house table to eat alone.

I sit and load my plate up with food. I hadn't realized how hungry I had gotten while doing homework. As I begin to eat, the three Gryffindors whom I saw earlier come in and sit down at the opposite end of the table from me. I don't try to talk to them, I just listen to their conversation. They're making no effort to keep their debate a secret.

"You have to keep that damn cat away from Scabbers, Hermione, I keep telling you that!" the red-haired boy is saying angrily. "I barely saved him this time!"

"Ron, I can't keep Crookshanks cooped up everyday," replies 'Hermione'. "He needs to get out! Maybe you should keep your rat locked up, everyone else lets their cat run loose but rats are smaller and easier to lose."

The black-haired boy between them is silent. I think I like him best. Hermione notices me.

"Sorry about us. I saw you earlier in the entrance hall. Who are you?"

"Avery Carter," I say automatically. "Who are you guys?"

"I'm Hermione, and this is Ron," she points to the red-haired boy, "and that's Harry." Harry was the quiet boy.

"Cool! What year?" I ask, even though I'm pretty sure I know they're third years.

"All third years," Ron replies, confirming my guess. "What about you?"

"First," I tell them. "Ravenclaw," I add, since I don't have my school ropes on, just normal clothes.

"Why'd you stay over for Christmas?" Harry speaks up for the first time.

"Why'd you all?" I ask back, not wanting to answer. Harry raises an eyebrow, and says,

"Cause we wanted to stay here. Ron's parents are out of the country and I don't wanna go to my home. Hermione is just keeping us company. So, why are you here?"

"Cause... I don't have a place to go to." I raise my chin defiantly. "Sirius Black killed my mom." I hold my voice as steady as I can. I'm not really sure why I'm telling these strangers private things. Hermione looks sympathetic. Harry speaks first.

"I understand. He got my parents killed too." It clicks into place who he is. Harry Potter. I don't say a word about him or his fame. Instead I reply,

"I'm really sorry. Thanks for understanding." Harry nods. The other two are at a loss with what to say, so we begin to eat in silence.

"This is certainly a lonely meal for it being Christmas." A smiling voice grabs our attention. I jerk my head up and so do the other three. Professor Dumbledore is standing at the head of the table, smiling at all four of us. He takes a seat in the chair in front of him and starts to get food. The three Gryffindors seem relatively unfazed by the Headmaster casually eating lunch with us but I've never seen him sit with students before, and I have only ever spoken to him in his office in very formal situations.

This is very unexpected and informal, and it's pretty uncomfortable. . . for about five minutes. Dumbledore makes easy small talk, and asks about classes and homework, and mentions a pair of socks that he lost, curious if any of us had seen them. This was definitely a side of Professor Dumbledore that I have never seen before, and I like it. Harry, Ron, and Hermione obviously know him better than me and talk much more than I do, but it was okay; I like listening.

When I finish eating, I politely excuse myself and the other three students follow. They're right behind me as we head out of the Great Hall, and as none other than Professor Snape is entering the Hall. He gives me a weird expression between a glare and embarrassment. His face hardens as his eyes land on the other three but he says nothing as he passes us and goes into the hall.

I hear footsteps behind me and Harry, Ron, and Hermione all come up around me.

"Does he hate you too or something?" Ron asks. "That was a weird look he gave you." I reply,

"I don't think hate is the right word."