She Never Even Knew My Name

Her hair cascades down her body, golden brown locks coming together in curls at the small of her back. She turns her head and I see her face; her eyes are a deep blue. Like an ocean that swallows me whole. Then she turns around, her back once again facing me. Her tiny body shakes. Whether it is from pure fear, sheer anger, or malnourishment, I don't know. The familiar buzzing sound begins. She holds herself tall and proud as hair falls in sheets to the ground, and winces silently as blood slowly trickles from where the razor nicked her on her scalp.

"26031. Follow me."

I roughly take her by the arm, praying I am not crushing her delicate bones. She stands still, probably because I just spoke to her in her native language.

"I said follow me!"

I drag her through the hall towards the main living quarters for the prisoners. Last minute, I veer off to the left, hastily opening a secret passage way my superiors informed me about.

You would be surprised how many hidden exits can be found in a concentration camp.

Once we're safely inside the small tunnel, I release her arm and cringe when I see the mark I left on her skin. I expect her to back away and cower, but she doesn't. Actually, she does the opposite; she looks me right in the eyes.

And slaps me.

"Who are you? Did you bring me here to kill me, because if that's the case, I would prefer to die with my family like every other sixteen year old in this Nazi infested place!"

She spits out the last words at me, like they're rotten food in her mouth.

"I hate you."

She's got some attitude.

I look at her face again.

And I like it.

I take a small step towards her and, like before, she doesn't back away. A fury fills her blue eyes, electrocuting them to a whole different shade of blue.

"Listen, I'm not here to hurt you."

Doubt trickles into her mind; I can see the gears turning. When she speaks again, her voice is slightly less malicious.

"Really? Because to me, you look like every other soldier who has my people into this horrid place!"

"I'm not bent on destroying you."

My brown eyes search her blue ones. I take hold of her hand and she doesn't recoil at my touch, leaving us just inches away from each other.

"You have to believe me, Rebekah. I'm here to help you."

"Who are you?!? How do you know my name?!?" Although she is becoming scared, her posture is still tall. She is proud of who she is. She won't back down. She is defiant.

She will die here.

"You have to trust me, Rebekah. I've been sent here to save your people."

"The rumors are true then?"

I nod my head and speak in hushed tones.

"I am a sympathizer. My superiors sent me here to rescue you, and hopefully the rest of those captive here."

She stands still and quiet. Her stare bores into my soul. It's kind of disturbing, but I feel so connected to her. I don't want to let go of her hand. Ever.

Suddenly, I'm pulled into a fierce hug. Standing on her tiptoes, she is able to reach my ear and whisper, "Thank you. Thank you so much."

Her head is resting on my shoulder, and I pull her closer to me. I cannot get too attached. I will die if I am caught.

I will die for her.

I pull away from her embrace and quietly tell her the plan that is to happen later this night. She nods. She knows what she has to do.

Going along with her part in the act, she allows me to drag her back into the hallway, to the common room for her people, and shove her to the ground. Telling my head officer "prisoner 26031 needed to learn how things worked around here," I continue on with my daily duties as a German soldier. But she never leaves my mind.

At dinner time, the prisoners are given a meager meal of stale bread, thin soup, and a sip of water.

But Rebekah isn't there.

"No."

This cannot be happening. I was going to save her. We could've ran away together! I know I was told to not get too attached, but I did. I couldn't help it. And I am not going to let her die.

I run to the courtyard where the fire is. The fire designed to burn people to death.

"Please, Rebekah, be anywhere but here."

I hear her before I see her.

"Let go of me! Get your filthy hands off of me!"

There she is, being led to the fire. I have to stop this.

"Bekah, no!"

Heads whirl around at me. Officers look at me, and I attack the two holding Rebekah.

"I want you to run, Bekah. When I yell at you to run, you run to our passage way and get out of here. You don't look back, you understand me?"

She nods her head, and tears are falling from her face.

"Are you coming with me?"

At that moment, I am ripped away from her. Guard on top of guard dog pile me to the ground.

"Run. Now."

Somehow, she hears my words. My vision is beginning to cloud from being punched so many times, so I may have imagined what I hear her scream as she flees from the scene.

"I love you!"

"I love you, too."

I can only hope she hears me. I am roughly picked up and walked towards the fire. So this is how I end?

That's ok. I saved the girl I love.

There's only one thing I regret.

She never even knew my name.

A/N: Hey everyone! Thank you for taking the time to read this! I hope you enjoyed this short story. Leave comments below and vote please! Also, if you enjoyed this writing, check out my book "As Long As I Remember"!!! and don't forget, VOTE/COMMENT/FOLLOW! thank you so much :D