Compromised

Jack pulled himself off of the floor, wiping his eyes as he did so. Grabbing his staff and making to leave the room, he was surprised when North burst through the door before he could even touch the handle. Jack flinched back, startled.

"Jack!" The man all but shouted when he saw him. "Are you alright?" Jack was taken aback by the frantic worry in the larger man's voice.

"I-I'm fine?" Jack said, not too sure why North seemed to think something had happened to him. Before Jack even had time to think, North put his hand somewhat forcefully on his shoulder and led him out of the room,  the glint of a single twin saber in the man's other hand catching Jack's eye. He swallowed hard.

"North, w-what's happened?" A surge of panic washed over him.

"It's Pitch." Jack felt his stomach drop.

"P-Pitch...?" He breathed, almost as a whisper. How had they found out? Jack was more than sure that he hadn't revealed anything that would've hinted at the Nightmare King's existence and, although he'd been a mess of confusion and emotions lately, he had made sure that none of the others would have thought anything except that he'd been affected by the weather change.

So what happened? Did Pitch...a-attack someone? He wouldn't do that...not now...w-would he?

"Nightmare was caught lurking around outside." North said sternly as he led Jack into the Globe room. Keeping his hand on his shoulder, he bent down to look Jack in the eyes.

"Listen, Jack." He said softly, his face still full of worry. "We're going after the Nightmare. I want you to stay at the Pole." Jack stared at him quizzically.

"Wait, why?" He questioned, a frantic feeling slithering beneath his ribs. North looked at him somewhat conflicted.

"Jack," He began, almost awkwardly, bringing a large hand up to his face to rub thoughtfully at his beard. Jack could almost hear his heart thundering against his chest as a thick silence flooded in to the, once again, strangely empty workshop, only this time it was eerie. "It's just...you've been strange of late. We worry for you." Jack frowned.

"B-But, if Pitch is back then..." Jack glared down at the floor, his mind muddled with conflicting thoughts. If he went with them, then that meant he had to fight against Pitch, but if he stayed here, then he knew that he'd be plagued by worry for the Guardians and the Boogeyman. Jack was torn. There was no way he could fight in this emotional state, the others could tell as well, and even if he did confront the Nightmare King, he knew there was no way he could actually fight him. The others could possibly deem him a traitor.

However, that didn't change the fact that he still wanted to see him.

"If Pitch is back you'll need all the man power you can get. You all saw how effective I was against him that once, so I should go with." Jack said, swallowing the lump in his throat. North sighed softly.

"Jack, we all know how powerful you are, there's no denying, but we all have times when we are weak. You are not well." North pat him on the back. "We can take care of matter without you this time. Stay here and rest. There's no need to worry." With one final pat, North grabbed his other saber and walked towards the lift before Jack had time to argue further. With a smile and a wink, he vanished into the bowels of the workshop, leaving Jack alone with his thoughts.

"Not well?" Jack mumbled to himself, thrusting his hand into the pocket of his hoodie and tightening the grip on his staff, his head hung. A strangled feeling burrowed within him, and he suddenly felt more useless than ever before.

"I know Bunny said I was important in my own way, but still..."

I don't DO anything...and now? Now they can just, 'solve the matter without me?' There was no denying the fact that North's words had hurt. Jack sighed as he made his way to his favourite spot to think by the large windows. Plopping down onto the window seat, Jack groaned.