That Shit's Not Funny

I wiped the fogged glass clean, staring at my wet hair and makeup-less face. What did he like about me so much? I observed every curve, frowning. I'm not skinny, but I'm not foolish enough to deny I am in any way attractive. My mother had given me her exaggerated hourglass figure. I had wide hips and a pretty big ass. I stared at it, poking one cheek. No amount of butt-blasters helped it, just made it even bigger. I wore a size 8, borderline 10 pant to accommodate my hips and thighs. At least my stomach didn't protrude too much—just a slight pooch that kept me out of a bikini. I cupped my breasts. I was pretty sure that he liked those. They were on the large size, having finally settled at a difficult to find DDD. My waist was actually small, accentuating my wide hips. Natalie had a similar figure, minus the breasts. She had been blessed with a perfect large B. My frown deepened. Was that why Frederick liked her? Did he have similar tastes to Ashland? I brushed through my hair, pulling out tangles. Ashland's attraction to me was purely physical—just like all of the other men I had met in the college—I was sure of it. Which meant that this wouldn't last long—this gave me some relief. I put on body crème, enjoying the scent of apricots and roasted dates. "Mari? Hey, can I borrow you're straightener?"

"Sure!"

Natalie walked into the bathroom, grabbing the straightener. I preferred to leave my hair long and curly. I pulled it into a messy ponytail before pulling on a green v-neck and khaki pants. I wasn't sure what shoes to wear and decided on my white kicks again. I picked up my phone, but realized I didn't have Ashland's number. I frowned. I'd have to text Pete. Even though I was deciding to face this monster, I was still pissed at Pete for ditching me. I sent him a quick text. Bitch, give me A-boy's #.

I'm surprised u wrote me. I stared at the text. I took a breath before replying.

Needed 2. Give me #

Can we not have a convo? Gotta be abrupt?

Next time I see A-boy I'll tell him u wouldn't give me his number.

I'm with him now actually.

I narrowed my eyes. Oooo how quickly his tune changed.

Do u want me 2 tell him something for u?

I didn't really know what I wanted to say. Where are u guys now? Would it be ok, if I came 2 see him? Still need his # btw.

A good bit of time passed before I got my next text. I had already started eating my breakfast. It was from a number I didn't know. It's Ashland , the text said. I stared at his name.

Oh, hey.

We have finished our tasks for the morning. You are welcomed to join me at home, if you like.

R u home now? Why was this so nerve wrecking?

I waited for him to respond. A good few minutes passed by. I'm home now. Pete would like for me to ask you if you would like for him to stay here while you visit. I must admit I am very surprise...My phone buzzed again to deliver the second part. That you wanted to see me, after what had occurred yesterday. But I am utmost pleased that you do. Do you still desire to come over? It is just past breakfast, so lunch is a ways off now. But if you are hungry, Karen may. Part three came. Make you something you would enjoy. What would you like, if anything at all? No wonder it took him so long to respond. Not only did he write in full sentences, but he wrote like he was talking to you.

Cool. I'll head out in 5. Not hungry. TTYL.

He probably didn't know what TTYL even meant.

My sister came down stairs after I grabbed my keys. "Where you going?"

"To see Ashland."

"Oh..." She gave me a look.