{prologue}

Prologue

When Remus J. Lupin was just a young little boy, he had discovered something important.

Girls were confusing.

It all started at the ripe age of eight. Before he was old enough to go to Hogwarts, his parents had enrolled him in a muggle elementary school. During recess, he would take his brown paper bag of homemade sandwiches and sit by himself outside on the swings, wanting to avoid the other kids and their questions about the 'scratches' on his face. One day, a girl came up to him, with blonde pigtails and bubblegum pink braces. She gave him a bracelet and told him he was her boyfriend. They had a lovely 18 hour relationship consisting of him sharing his Oreos with her before she dumped him for another boy with gummy bears the next day. Remus had simply shrugged it off.

Then, when he was 10, his next door neighbour had invited him over to play hide and seek. When it was time for dinner, she'd kissed him on the cheek and waved goodbye as he walked back home. The next day, when Remus tried to sit next to her in school during lunch, she told him boys were icky and that they had cooties. He ended up just sitting outside on the swings again.

So, it was safe to say that girls perplexed him. However, there was one girl in particular that intrigued him above all others.

He first saw Leah at the Hogwarts feast, on the first day of his first year in school. Back then, she'd had braids in her hair and was as shy as a kitten.

The crush started when she accidentally spilt pumpkin juice on him.

They'd become fast friends, hanging out together in the common room, walking to class together, studying in the library. Remus grew to adore her; the smattering of freckles across her nose and her saccharine-sweet smile. Their friendship was constant, and it stayed that way through their second year all the way up to their fourth. That year, she'd grown into her body and came back to Hogwarts with her hair let down, her braces gone and her personality vibrant. Her smile, however, was as sweet as ever.

That was the year his other friends (along with a whole lot of other boys) took notice of her. Remus had stared when he'd seen her, which had led to the other marauders looking and ending up staring as well.

"Bloody hell, Leah Hunter looks good," Sirius had mumbled before turning to smirk at Remus teasingly. "Forget it Moony, she's way out of your league." Remus hadn't disagreed.

That was also the year Leah had gotten asked out numerous dates. Remus had always disapproved, but he'd kept silent whenever she sneaked out in the middle of the night to meet a Ravenclaw boy, or hung out in Hogshead all day with the Prewett twins. She still spent time with him, they were still close. He grew to accept the fact that he wouldn't have Leah all to himself anymore, but that didn't mean he was happy about it. He was just one of her close friends, her shoulder to cry on when she got hurt, the boy who made her laugh when she was tense. Leah never realised the extent of his feelings towards her, and it frustrated Remus to no end that he would never be brave enough to tell her.

After all, who could ever love a monster like him?