Chapter 2

Merlin groaned. Today is never a good day. Not only was this the day his kingdom was taken, but bad events always fell on this day, like some sort of curse.

Arthur almost dying by the Questing Beast, Kilgharrah attacking Camelot, his father, the king, dying in his arms and Arthur telling him no man was worth his tears, the whole Cup Of Life incident, and finally Morgana taking Camelot.

Yes, most of these issues where resolved, but some had left Merlin broken. All Merlin wished for was that nothing would happen this time.

"Merlin, you're going to be late for waking Arthur!" Gaius called. Merlin groaned again. It wasn't that he disliked his Royal Pratness, he just wished he wasn't such a dollophead some times.

As he got dressed, he slid his pillow out of the way. There, laying perfectly sharpened, was a long sword, with two dragons intertwining around the hilt. Although both where originally gold, Merlin found a spell to turn the smaller dragon engraving pure white so they represented the last Dragonlord's last dragons.

As Merlin placed it into his belt, he muttered a spell. Merlin's eyes flashed a soft gold, the color of fallen leaves, and the sword glowed, indicating that the spell worked. Rushing out of his door, he spotted Gaius smiling with something wrapped held in his hands.

"Happy birthday, Merlin. I know these past birthdays haven't been so easy." Gaius smiled and handed him the wrapped package. Merlin unwrapped it, and inside was a new gold neckerchief. Merlin smiled, remembering his mother had gave him the one he had on right now.

"Thank you so much Gaius!" Merlin called as he quickly changed his neckerchief and raced out the door.

Pushing past a few servents, he smiled at the knights. "Merlin!" Gwaine said, his smile bright as always. "Come join us in the tavern tonight! It will be fun!" Merlin chuckled.

"By 'fun', do you mean retelling the tales of your experiences in Astrin?" Eleyan laughed as he claped his hand across the young servent's back.

Merlin sighed at the mention of his kingdom. He had never seen Gwaine there, but it seemed he was there multiple times.

"Nice neckerchief!" Gwen said smiling as she walked down the hall. "Oh, ah, Gaius gave it to me." Merlin smiled at the queen.

Saying goodbye to his friends, he rushed down the hall, grabbing food from the kitchen and stopping at the door. Quietly opening the door, he saw the form of a snoring Arthur, hair a mess and face-down on his pillow.

Merlin had to hold back his laughter as he made it to his window, pulling the drapes back. "Rise and shine!" Merlin says cheerfully, but he was less than that on this day.

"Uh, Merlin." The king grumbled as he sat up. "Can't you let me sleep in for once?" Merlin was about to make a sarcastic retort back when the doors to the chambers burst open.

A young servant, Fabian, stood out of breath in front of the king. "What is it?" Merlin and Arthur say simultaneously, quickly glaring at eachother.

"R-R-Representatives from A-A-Astrin, sire!" The young man said, stuttering, though Merlin payed more attention to what he said then that Arthur was calling his name.

"MERLIN!" The king broke his manservant out of it. "What is wrong with you today?" He rolled his eyes. "Also, where did you get that?" He gestures to the manservant's neck.

"Oh, Gaius gave it to me, Arthur." Maybe if you paid more attention to me, you would know what today is. Merlin shook his head as he started the daily struggle of getting Arthur dressed. Was I this demanding to Travis? Merlin questioned.