The Prince is Giving a Ball

"One, two, three. One, two, three. One, two, three. Grace, Miss Giselle! Where is your grace today? No worthwhile gentleman cares to marry an elephant!"

Cinderella bit her lip to smother a snigger as she knelt in front of Jezabelle to re-tie her dancing shoes for the lesson only to have her stepmother glare at her.

"Cinderella, are you quite finished?" she asked, her tone like ice. She always disliked Cinderella being in the same room as her daughters when the dancing lessons were going on – probably because she feared Cinderella would somehow memorise each and every new dance that cropped up each season and be able to show them off.

Where she was supposed to show them off was a mystery to Cinderella seeing as she hadn't seen the inside of another stately home in years and – like everything else – if any grand assemblies were hosted at home, she was dismissed, and locked, downstairs.

"Quite finished," Cinderella replied, securing a bow and straightening up.

"You may leave then," her stepmother said, dismissing her. Cinderella nodded and walked out, making her way downstairs to start lunch so it would all be ready to be set out as soon as the lessons were over.

Dia joined her as she made her way down the stairs, carrying linen for the laundry.

"Make sure the music room is set up for evening lessons," Cinderella said as she pulled the to-do list for that day out of her apron pocket.

Dia nodded, handing over the linen and parted ways while Cinderella went back downstairs, out through the kitchen and into the laundry room, dropping the load in there then getting to lunch.

By the time it was prepared, the lesson upstairs was over and the dancing instructor, Mr. Whittley, was apparently at his wits end.

"Maid! I expect the tea to be strong today!" he hollered from the stairs as his cane swung through the air.

"Mr. Whittley, you really must join us for lunch, the kitchens are awful," Lady Constantia said, following him down.

"I find the silence down there suitable for my sensibilities," Mr. Whittley stated, as he did every week, "It allows for your daughters to discuss the lessons without me. Miss Jezabelle is of course doing excellently. Miss Giselle must, and I mean must, practice outside of lessons if she ever expects to preform well at court. Time it running thin."

"Of course," Lady Constantia said, shooting her daughters a look from where they stood at the top of the stairs. "We shall see you out when you leave then."

"Naturally. Lead the way, girl," he said, brandishing his cane at Cinderella who opened a side door for him. He sauntered passed her, waited for the next to be opened and strutted down to the kitchens, planting himself at the kitchen table, waiting for Cinderella to close the doors before he finally let out a breath.

"Honestly, Giselle could be such a elegant dancer if only she would practice," he said, setting his cane aside and pouring his tea as Cinderella set out a plate of miniature cakes.

"She takes more interest in riding," Cinderella said as Dia rushed in to collect the first of the main course dishes to ready them for once the starters were done.

"All well and good but just one of the many talents she needs. And of course Miss Jezabelle, over flowing with all the traits of an accomplished young lady if only she weren't so... cold."

"I'm not even sure the great fires could warm that one," Cinderella said, placing out the desserts as Dia sped through again.

"Perhaps," Whittley said, dapping at the corners of his mouth with his napkin before clapping his hands to his knees and pushing to his feet. "Right, today's lesson, no time to lose, they'll be starting their main course soon. As you saw upstairs, we'll start by going over the waltz, an ever-popular number. I have more reason then usual today to keep you on your toes."