Says Luke

“Cassie,” he says.

“Luke, stop calling me that,” I reply.

                It is now officially two months that I’ve been here. It’s been two months since I’ve last felt happiness. And don’t get me wrong – I am grateful that I have somewhere to stay in. Some people don’t.

And maybe it’s just that this isn’t where I am supposed to be. But where else would I go. No, that wasn’t a question, because I do not have anywhere else to go.

“What’s bothering you?” He looks at me amused, like I was an astronaut floating away from the shuttle. Surely, I wasn’t. But I wanted to be.

I replied to him, without actually looking at him. “Nothing. I just want to go somewhere, you know? Because Dad used to tell me how fun travelling is. And I don’t know if I should leave or not, but either way, I just want to go somewhere else – somewhere far, somewhere quiet. Somewhere when I can occupy silence with noise.”

“And you willl never come back.”

I look at him confused. “Of course I will.”

He chuckles. “… said John Green.”

“Oh,” I smile at him. “John Green.”

There was a long pause.

“But I will come back. Really.” I said after a few long seconds.

“So you really are leaving.” His smile fades.

Laughing before I speak, I said, “Look at that, I am still not sure if I should leave, but I am already promising that I will come back. Maybe I will. Maybe I won’t. The fact that I am ‘trapped’ in this place saddens me. And the fact that I have people to leave saddens me more.” “It’s kind of hard to deal with myself sometimes.”

“Not knowing which decision to take can sometimes be the most painful.” He said flatly.

“That doesn’t make sense.”

He chuckles again. I raise an eyebrow.

“Paulo Coelho.” He announces.

“Can you please stop quoting writers?” I lightly punch his arm.

“Inside a black hole, time stops. And whether or not it does, I will still stare at you. I’m in love with you.”

“Koyczan?” I ask him.

“No, I’m in love with you.”

I sigh.

“Cassie, I am in love with you.” He looks at me – only me and nothing else. “I am in love with you, says Luke.”

--

Hi. I normally don't publish stories anymore, but I just thought I'd share this with you guys.