Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

Chapter 7

I was confident enough with the layout of Hades' palace to be able to navigate from my rooms to the kitchens, the grand library, and my reading room without needing to look at Hades' maps. I was returning from the kitchens, cup of tea and a book in hand, to my reading room when I noticed the door was already open. Markos stood in the center of the room, looking at the reading material cluttered on every available surface with nothing short of contempt.

"Oh, what are you doing here?"

"I live here, my lady." Markos sighed heavily, using the title as more of an insult than anything.

I smiled, all teeth. "As do I."

"Don't remind me."

"I see you're in fine form today, Markos." I raised an eyebrow. "Why are you here?"

"You've been summoned."

"Where to?"

"The Hall of Judgment."

"I didn't know where I resided in the Underworld was a matter needing to be discussed. Am I being moved?" I chuckled at my joke, but I was genuinely intrigued as to why I was being formally summoned. It hadn't happened before and I hadn't visited the Hall yet.

"I wish."

"How will I get there?"

Instead of answering, Markos glanced behind me and I turned to look. Hypnos was leaning against the wall in the hallway.

"Hecate is indisposed, so I get this honor." He held out his hand for me. "We need to get going."

I looked at the book and the cup in my hand. "Well, I guess you'll have to take care of these for me, Markos. Have a splendid time." I placed them on a nearby table and took Hypnos' arm.

Markos just sighed heavily as we left but when we were out of hearing range, Hypnos laughed. "Oh, I love how you torment him. It gives him a taste of his own medicine."

"Do you know what this is about?"

"Just that Hades needs you at the Hall. Let's not keep her waiting very long, shall we?"

I made polite conversation with him, asking him about his dream children, while we quickly walked through the palace. When I asked how many Oneiroi there were, he chuckled nervously and blushed.

"Quite a few."

"What about your brother?"

"Thanatos? He doesn't have any children. Why do you ask?"

"Just curious." I figured if Hypnos had so many children, his brother would have just as many.

"Are you interested in my brother's sexual pursuits? Why him? Is it the hair? I could change it if you wanted."

I shoved him away from me. "Oh, Gods, the both of you are ridiculous. Give it a rest already, would you?"

He just laughed as he opened the front door for me. I hurried through but once my feet were on the ground and the plants began to grow, I paused and grudgingly held out my hand for him to take. He wasted no time and in an instant, we were in front of the Hall of Judgment.

It was a grand structure, worthy of the name. Countless columns towered into the sky above us to hold up a heavy stone roof.

"Quit marveling at the grandeur and let's go inside. I'm sure you'll be here again." Hypnos tugged on my hand. "I don't like to keep Hades waiting. She's a very busy woman."

The inside of the Hall was even more magnificent, columns gilded with silver and gold, mosaics made from only vibrant gemstones, three simple thrones sitting side by side, and a single throne on a platform behind them. One of the three thrones held Aeacus, so I could only gather that the other spirits were Minos and Rhadamanthus, the other two judges. A woman with pale blonde hair was standing on the platform, speaking to the figure wearing a black jeweled robe that was sitting on the high throne.