Chapter 13: Just Like Tink

Luce's Perspective

    It was some time before I managed to open my eyes again. I slowly wobbled to my feet. Suddenly a gust of wind knocked me over. I did a summersault in the air and saw them.

    A pair of fiery orange wings glistened on my back. Really?! First the duplicate and now the fairy. I mean being shrunk was one thing, but to grow wings was just cruel! Wings were a girl thing, I was a guy. Why would I need wings anyway? I am an Aries. I can control the wind to make myself fly. Plus this must be a small library because of the small door.

    With that I opened the door and stepped inside. What the?! The library was twice the size of my library back home! I had to sort through this to find the book I was looking for. Not only that, but these books were three times bigger than me. This might take awhile. To top it off, I didn't know how long I would stay a fairy.

    I gathered up my concentration and prepared myself to create a gust of wind. I let my energy out and...what? The air around me was motionless. What was going on? I tried again, but got the same result. With no options left I reluctantly tried to flap my wings. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be. I rotated my shoulder blades and got a few feet off the ground before falling again.

    Finally I found a way to get to the bookcases by jumping to a ledge and flying a few feet. When I first saw the books I almost fell over. They were huge! How would I find the one book I was looking for in this huge library?

    I wandered around reading the spines of the huge books. It was hopeless! After a few hours I laid down in defeat. I stared up at the ceiling, wondering. What happened to my life? It was so good and perfect... I smiled at the thought of the good old days.

    Then I noticed a small hole in the corner of the ceiling. Was that a...it was! A tiny door! Something must be in there.

    I jumped and tried to fly up there before realizing that I couldn't fly that far. I fell like a rock. The floor came up at me too fast, but I couldn't fly! I tried some helpless flaps, but it was no use. No one could save me or hear me as I crashed to my death.

    Then a sudden urge came to me. My wings shot open and I was gliding. The floor slowed down. I bravely made strong strokes with my wings. I was flying! It was like I could do it all along. I flew around the room doing circles and loops. I laughed so hard that my gut hurt. Finally I landed at the doorstep. Maybe wings weren't so bad.

    The sign on the door in front of me said, 'You made it!' I slowly rang the doorbell. Tiny high-pitched chimes could be heard ringing inside. Slowly the door creeped open an inch. Two eyes stared at me from the opposite side of the door.

    "Who are you?" The eyes asked me. "Don't lie!"

    "Luce."

    "What do want Luce? Very few people cross by here."

   "I'm looking for a book," I slowly told the eyes. I didn't entirely trust them.

    "What sort of book? As you see, I have many books to choose from."

    "The... Banished Book."

    "I haven't heard those words in a long time. Come in." With that the door swung open and a boy with silver hair stood beside it. He looked about my age, but wiser. If one could look wise at the age of 14.

    I stepped inside. The boy led me to a pair of chairs. The room looked cozy enough, but I didn't see any other people. As the boy turned around I saw a pair of rainbow colored wings. Every color one could think of was there. They let off a shimmery aura.

    "Here, sit."

    I sat down. "So you can help me," I asked.

    "I can, if you prove your worth. We're getting ahead of ourselves though. I'm Shade." He smiled.

    "Your wings suggest otherwise," I pointed out.

   "Oh, you've noticed. Well they were once silver, but they've changed over the years."

    "What do you mean?"

    "Well, whenever someone visits my home the color of the wings they have will appear on my wings. Here, I'll show you." He turned around and showed me a orange patch on his wings. It was the same fiery orange as my wings!

    "I see. I thought that you didn't get a lot of visitors though."

    "I don't, but when you're here for a thousand years you'll see a few people."

    "A thousand years?! Dude, you look good."

    "As guardian of the ancient library we are granted the gift of immortality until we accomplish a fulfilled wing. That's when the next guardian will enter the library and will be given their duty."

    I wanted to ask Shade about a fulfilled wing, but I held my tongue. Instead I stared absently at my orange wings.

    "Now, I've been talking for far too long. You're here for the book. Well there's not much to it. I just need to chant a spell on your wings. This will enable them to lead you to Earth. It's kind of like a gut feeling."

    "And the side affects?"

    "Well there are none if you do it right. You'll just need time to adjust to the wings."

    "Okay, let's do it."

    I stood up and turned my back towards Shade. Then I braced myself for the worst.

    "You do know that this won't hurt?"

    "I'm not taking any chances," I replied.

   With that Shade started murmuring words. I suddenly felt a change in the atmosphere of the small room. My wings turned a bright yellow and became warm.

    "Done," Shade announced.

    Slowly my wings turned orange and cooled down. Then they started shrinking.

    "Are they supposed to do that?"

    "What?!" Shade's eyes popped out of his head.

    The orange wings then disappeared in my back.

    "This is bad! It's only a matter of time..."

    "Before what?!" I asked.

    "That!" He pointed at my thumb witch had grown back to its normal size. "You need to get out now!"

    I ran out as my whole right hand started swelling to its normal size. I jumped through the door, but stopped abruptly. My hand wouldn't fit through the door.

    "Shade, I'm stuck!"

    My hand kept growing...

**************************************************************
    Sorry about the wait. School makes me super busy. Hope you liked the chapter anyway.

    Keep reading and know that the chapters might take longer to come out now. Be patient my Airheads.