Chapter 2: Mirror

Chapter 2: Mirror

I’m Philip Allen.

 Most of my friends call me ‘Phil’, my teachers call me ‘Mr. Allen’ and mom calls me ‘my sweetie’. I was born in Graysville’s maternity clinic and grew up at Lot 25 Block 7 Coal Street, where a white house stands. This town is a quiet one and there’s nothing really interesting to do and see. Almost everyone here knows each other but no one’s hardly close. There isn’t a dry day here in Graysville, it rains every night and in the morning you’ll be surrounded by the condensed mist in the air. The sun rises late on this valley, that’s why establishments opens and starts here by 8am, the same time most locals open their eyes in the morning. There isn’t a single fast food chain in this town and the nearest McDonalds is a 45 minute drive from here. But I guess living here in this rusty town isn’t that bad though; I managed to survive for 16 years.

Greysville is also my mom’s hometown and she told me that the only time she fled this valley was when she bagged a scholarship for journalism in a university in Hawaii. She also told me that she targeted Hawaii because she wanted to feel what it’s like to lay under the heat of the sun, to be blinded by the sunlight and to hear the chant of the ocean- something you’ll never experience here, something she always dreamt of.

My dream? I don’t think I have one actually. I don’t have a single idea of what I want to be in the future, what I want to reach and see in life. All I wanted to do was to live each day one step at a time; I just wanted to live for the moment and not worry what lies ahead. Somehow, I’m satisfied by my everyday routine and it shakes me when something goes wrong- something new or a change.

I woke up this morning thinking it’s just another ‘first day of school’. But as I stand here in this empty corridor, I face something I’ve never encountered, something that might bring the change I’ve been secretly yearning for all this time and it alarms me.

 My heart was pounding like a jungle drum; Beating fast like a hummingbird flapping its wings. And I didn’t want it to end. I wanted it to last.  It felt like something I thought ecstasy would do- and he’s the drug. My mind was in utter silence yet the inside of my body was in a trance. I couldn’t make my mind form words and I couldn’t mutter a sound.  Next thing I knew, we were already face to face. 

“Hey, are you okay?” he asked.

He’s face was too close that it gave me a fright.  It woke me up. I didn’t know being this close to a ‘dream’ can petrify you.

“em.. em..uhmm. what..am glud”

I was mumbling. My mind started to run but my thoughts were so tangled that it made words difficult for me. Then I thought I felt my knees quiver.  

“Are you okay? Uhm, You don’t look well” This time he’s tone changed. We were looking at each other eye to eye. His green eyes were so fixed that it felt like I’m getting magnetized.

 I can feel his breathing; he was that close to me.

“Do you need-“

“I’m g-..good..I’m okay.” I snapped, but still mumbling

Those words came out unexpectedly and I couldn’t be more thankful that it wasn’t something embarrassing.

“Are you sure?” he asked  

Our eye contact suddenly broke. He was looking down at something.

“You’re soaked!” looking at my wet cardigan and shirt.

 Shit

 My heart sank. I was so embarrassed that I wanted to run away. I looked away and turned my back. I was so ready to disappear when suddenly I felt a grip on my arm. I looked back and I saw him holding me.