Craddle // Damian

SOMEONE REQUESTED AN AYEDAMIAN IMAGINE BUT DIDNT HAVE TO TIME WRITE IT YET SO IM USING AN OLD ONE 💓💓

You've had your newborn baby girl in your arms for a few hours, keeping her warm and nestled against your chest, but as the nurse takes her to be bathed and given a pediatric exam you already miss her being in your arms.

You're impatient as you wait, watching the clock tick down the minutes until you get little Lora back.

Damian sits beside you, a proud, goofy grin on his face that hasn't left since the first moment he saw Lora. "She'll be right back, (Y/N)," he assures you and holds your hand gently, tracing his thumb over the back of your hand in soothing circles.

You finally realize just how exhausted you are, having been in labor for nearly twenty-four hours now. Despite your best efforts, you slip into a light slumber, waiting for Lora to come back.

"Would you like to hold her?" You hear the nurse ask sometime later. Your eyelids flutter open and you see the nurse standing in front of Damian. He looks shocked, almost hesitant as his gaze flickers from your baby in the nurse's arms to your face.

He's visibly relieved when he sees you're awake. "I think my wife has been anxious to have Lora back..." he mumbles, indicating to the nurse that you're awake.

She looks at you and smiles as Damian helps you sit up to take your baby back. "I have to go check on some of the other patients, but I'll be back shortly. If you need anything before then, just use the button," she said, and exits, leaving you and Damian, proud mother and father, alone with your newborn.

You look up from your beautiful baby's face to look at Damian curiously. "Is everything okay?" You ask him.

He's looking at your baby, his gaze filled with amazement, wonder, and... fear?

His eyes lock with yours and he swallows, giving you a smile that is probably meant to be reassuring, but you know your husband well enough to know that he's lying.

"What's wrong? Does it have anything to do with the look you gave the nurse when she offered you the chance to hold Lora ?" You ask, putting two and two together.

Damian sighs and gives you a small smile, guilt and fear written all over your face. "She's so small," he whispers, looking at the tiny baby in your arms with love and worry.

Your lips tilt up in an amused smile. "Yeah, she is. Most newborns are," you tease him lightly, wanting to ease the worry on his face. He gives you an appreciative smile, recognizing your attempt to make him feel better, but then it drops into a frown again.

"What if I hurt her?" He asks, meeting your eyes again.
Your worry for your husband eases and your lips curl into a gentle smile. You reach for his hand and slowly bring it your baby's head.

"You're not going to break her, Damian. You may be a hunter, but you're capable of being gentle too. You're her father and if I know you, no one is going to hurt her on your watch. Go ahead and pick her up, I promise you won't hurt her," you encouraged him.

You can see his hands shaking as he curls one hand under her head and the other under her back as he picks her up and cradles her to his body.

Something changes in his face and suddenly, tears are in his eyes and his mouth opens to a full out smile. He touches his nose to her's as he looks into her eyes. You're smiling and tears are streaming down your own face as Damian talks to your baby.

Lora reaches her tiny hand up and pats her daddy's cheek, her own lips forming into a grin and Damian looks up at you in amazement and glee.

"She's smiling!" He announces and you laugh. "She knows you love her and she loves you too," you tell him.

He climbs into the hospital bed with you and you cradle her together, happy to be parents to the most beautiful baby in the world.