8

The bar was located on a less populated corner of the downtown strip. The seclusion was fitting because it had all the makings of Hipsterville. An entire flock of bearded men in flannel inhaling vape pens littered the outdoor patio. The music escaping the outdoor speakers was pretty much in sync with the singer Seven had on in the car. Seven greeted the hipsters with an uninterested head nod. I mimicked him even though I'd never met any of them in my entire life.

The outside of Beard Brew was definitely a preview to what greeted us on the inside. More dudes in flannel with their lips wrapped around vaporizer pens. And beards. Lots and lots of beards. There was a stage in the center of the small bar, a microphone standing proudly, waiting for a singer to pour their hearts into it. The walls were painted brown and had the logos of all the hot indie bands plastered on them. Dim lights enhanced the hazy atmosphere. Most of the furniture looked like it was made out of scraps scavenged from a junk yard. I liked it.

"Why is there so much flannel," I asked, following Seven to a booth in the corner.

He chuckled. "Every Monday if you have a beard and rock flannel you get free beers."

I nodded. "Interesting."

"Yeah. I'm going to go sign up for the open mic. Do you want me to buy you a drink?"

"Yeah. Surprise me."

He smiled cunningly and trotted over to the bar. I watched him chat it up with a bartender. His smile was wide, matching the woman he was talking to. Clearly, they were friends. From the corner of the bar, where I was sitting, I could tell she was attractive. She had a short blunt bob that complimented her round face perfectly. Her lips had the appearance of being filled with silicone, but it didn't dampen her beauty. She was wearing a tight long sleeved lace shirt, revealing two arms filled with tattoos. After a few more whispers and hushed giggles, they both shot a look in my direction, instantly my eyes fell to my lap. Was he talking about me?

Two minutes later he was back at the booth, drink less. "She's going to bring em over."

I nodded. "Cool."

He sat and scanned me. "What's with the band-aids?"

I contemplated lying like I did to Brie. I settled on honesty. "I got tested today. With my dad. Totally awkward."

His face lit up in disbelief. "With your dad? That's so cool! How did it go?"

"I passed out. But at least I'm HIV negative. I would have died if I wasn't."

"No you wouldn't." he sounded insulted, even though his smile betrayed his words.

I shrugged. "I just really thought I would be positive," I explained, feeling a bit defensive. "That doesn't scare you?"

He shrugged. "My ex-boyfriend was positive. It's not as scary once you do your research."

"Wait, are you positive?"

He shook his head. "No," he mumbled flatly.

"Sorry."

"No, it's fine. You're young, kid."

The sound of glass hitting the aluminum table interrupted any silence that was going to follow. I looked up and the girl from the bar was hovering over us. "One blue long island for Sebastian," her emerald eyes locked onto mine, "and a rum and coke for the under aged boy." She smiled, tucking a piece of black hair behind her ear.