All It Takes Is One Bad Day

Jeff, Jane and Draco sat in the classroom, this time the subject was history. The history teacher, Mr. Lugosi, was a tall man with graying brown hair, blue eyes, and fair skin. He wore an argyle sweater vest and dark blue pants. Lately, he had been teaching them about ancient Rome.

"And so, once Julius Caesar declared himself emperor, the Roman Republic was a thing of the past. The Roman Empire rose from the ashes. Does anybody remember why?"

Fuck, thought Jeff. He read the first few chapters of their textbook, and while he found it all interesting, everything that happened recently made it easy for his mind to wander.

Jane raised her hand.

"Yes, Jane?" asked Mr. Lugosi.

"The Roman Republic was absolutely corrupt. The economy was a mess, the senators were greedy, and there were even secret armies that belonged to this or that senator. Caesar formed an alliance with his friends Pompey and Crassus, which was the first Triumvirate, and they held order. But that was just the beginning." Jane said.

Jeff smiled and gave her thumbs up. Mr. Lugosi smiled and replied, "Excellent, I can see you've done your research. Now, here's some food for thought. What were Caesar's pros and cons?"

Jeff raised his hand. "His pros were easy enough. Caesar was big on pardoning criminals for the most part. Even when Pompey betrayed him, Caesar was pretty upset when he saw he was dead. He even pardoned Pompey's army and welcomed them back to Rome with honor. "

Sitting across from Jeff was Jinx, who said, "That's true. But as for his cons, well...his methods were brutal. I guess you could say the pirates who captured him had it coming, and even those soldiers dying at his hands was understandable. Still, he was kind of a power-hungry prick who committed a lot of crimes against the Gauls, the Usipets and the Tencters."

"Ah, well, you got me there." Jeff quipped. Jinx chuckled.

Mr. Lugosi stroked his chin. "You both have good points." After that, the bell rang, and the teacher continued, "Guess that's it for me. I'll see you all next week, please remember to keep studying. I promise, it's just gonna get better from here!"

Jeff smiled. He liked all of the teachers in school, but he liked Mr. Lugosi the most. He didn't just drone on and on about his subject like some teachers do. He had a genuine passion for teaching kids, and a passion for his subject. Jeff respected that. Mr. Lugosi sort of reminded him of Dr. Cranston. Sure, they both had to think about the business of the school and whatnot, but they actually gave a shit about the people they taught.

They're among the few good people in the world, Jeff thought.

After class ended, Jeff, Jane and Draco headed to the library, and sat at the table that Toby and his sister Kate were at. Kate Taylor was Toby's older sister by two years, with the same fair skin and brown hair as her brother. However, unlike Toby's blue eyes, Kate had coffee brown eyes, warm and friendly looking. She had an easy-going smile on her face, and she wore a black Darth Vader T-shirt and black jeans. Jinx was sitting right next to them, reading the Death Note manga.

Jeff walked up to Jinx and kissed her on the hand. "Lovely to see you again, baby-doll."

Jinx smirked. "Likewise, stud-muffin." She touched Jeff's face and winked, then waved Jane and Draco. "Sup, guys."

"Hola, bitcholas!" Draco yelled with a mischievious grin, sitting next to Jinx. Noticing her book, Draco rasped, "Humans are so...interesting," in his best impression of Ryuk. Jinx smiled and rolled her eyes.

"Oh, yeah. Brian Drummond's got nothing on you, Draco." Jinx said.

Draco gasped, his red eyes widening with joy and said in a voice thick with sarcasm, "Wow, thanks! You really think so?"