Chapter 3

No matter how much I wished to stop the time, the morning came just like always. I couldn't sleep well last night. There were too many things that were going on in my mind. If I had known that I had to kiss in the play when I was in class, I would have begged Professor Schuyler to not choose me. Now I know why the three sisters overreacted being fussy and being extreme.

What should I do? The rehearsal begins today. Is there any way I can resign the heroine role? Perhaps I can pretend to be sick right before the performance starts. I was so depressed going up the stairs.

"Good morning, Beauty."

I turned around nervously and found Elias. Elias then asked, "What's wrong? You look pale like you just saw a ghost."

I replied, "Ah, it's just you, Elias. Good morning."

For a moment there, I thought it was Klaus. I sometimes feel like they're like twins. Their voices are surprisingly so much alike. Elias then asked, "What do you mean by 'Ah, it's just you'? I'm terribly sorry that I wasn't Klaus."

I quickly responded, "No, I didn't mean that! Actually I was relieved you weren't Klaus."

The reason was because I wasn't sure how I'm supposed to face him now. Elias continued to ask, "Is that so? Have you done anything to make Klaus mad?"

I then said, "well, it's not that I've done something..."

I started to remember that the trouble I was having was related to the boy standing right in front of me. I then asked him, "By the way, Elias! What will you do with the performance at the festival?"

Elias asked back, "What about the performance? What are you talking about?"

He seemed puzzled. Seeing his reaction, I came to a terrible conclusion. It seemed like he didn't know about the kiss scene. Elias then continued, "I don't really get what you are trying to say. What about the performance?"

It seemed like I was right. I started to explain, "Well it is..."

How am I supposed to tell him? It's really embarrassing to tell him the details. Elias then said, "What is it? If there is anything you want to say, just say it straight."

I tried to say it but I kept stuttering. I wanted to speak out but found it really difficult to do so. I finally said, "Actually, the two main casts chosen for the performing festival must... Hmmm, you know, in the play... we have to... um..."

"Hey! Morning, Elias!"

Just then, a male student passed by. Elias replied, "Morning."

The boy exclaimed, "I heard you'll be the First King in the play! Looking forward for the kiss scene!"

Elias then exclaimed, "What?!"

After the student went upstairs, Elias turned towards me. Elias started to mumble, "What the? What did he just say? The kiss scene?"

I was still right. Elias had no clue about the kiss scene. I then explained to him, "Listen, Elias. I heard a certain thing about the festival from my roommate yesterday for the first time. She said every year the two main casts have to perform a real kiss in the play and that's the unspoken custom of the performing festival."

Elias then yelled, "WHAT THE?!"

Because of that, all the students in the hallway turned towards us. Then, one girl said, "Hey look! Those two over there must be..."

Another girl said, "Have you heard about the main casts in the performing festival already?!"

Another girl added on, "Of course! Everyone has been talking about it non-stop at class and in the dorm since yesterday."