Prologue

Warwickshire, England 1816

It was a beautiful night at the Warwick Castle Lady Elizabeth, wife of Lord William Bainbridge, Earl of Warwick strolled down the marbled pavestones that leads to the rose garden, the bright full moon illuminating her way. She was a dark haired woman of surpassing beauty: her expressive hazel eyes were framed with long heavy lashes, her skin was fair and soft and her dark wavy hair cascades perfectly down her back. Many stunning and suitable women had tried to claim the elusive nobleman's heart but only the innocent and lovely Elizabeth captured it.

From the very moment he laid eyes upon her at a lazy afternoon stroll across the River Thames , he knew he could never let this woman go. He was devilishly handsome, charming, intelligent and very persistent. Elizabeth knew falling in love with him was a bad idea, she was breaking all the rules. But one day she realized she was already in too deep, William had won her heart. She made the biggest decision that would alter her life and those she loved dearly.

Now heavily pregnant with their first child, she knew it wouldn't be long before they find her. She inhaled the fragrant perfume of the roses she was suppose to retire to her bed chambers but she felt alone and lonely. William was on a week long business trip in Spain and Mary, her sister in law; her other companion besides the servants was attending a ball in London.

She walked toward the back portion of the garden that heads to the river. It was a magnificent sight in broad daylight she surveyed the reflection of the full moon on the clear water. She tightened her cloak as a gust of wind blew at her direction. Suddenly a chill went down her spine. She realized how vulnerable she was, she scolded herself for leaving the warmth and safety of her home. She composed herself, turned and paced back to the rose garden.

"Leaving so soon, dearest niece?"

Elizabeth stopped on her tracks, she inhaled a deep breath as if it was the last air she'll ever take. She slowly glanced back to the owner of that familiar voice, a dark silhouette stepped out of the trees beside the river, The light from the moon revealed the intruder's face. Elizabeth was caught in a pair of intense hazel eyes. The woman in front of her was clad in black but it didn't conceal her striking features though she was a redhead, she had the same green eyes like her Mother's.

"Aunt Marie" she ran toward the woman and embraced her tightly, inhaling the sweet and comforting scent of apples and cinnamon. "You have received my letter."

Marieanne Davenport was her mother's youngest sister, when her mother died in an illness she raised Elizabeth and her elder sister Lucinda like her own. Elizabeth never meet her father, it was said that he died in a shipwreck when her sister Lucinda was barely two, at that time her mother did not know she was pregnant with Elizabeth. It was a hard time in her mother's short existence, raising two daughters on her own. But Aunt Marie was always around to lend a helping hand. She was also Elizabeth's mentor, she taught her everything she know about witchcraft. Perhaps almost everything.

Aunt Marie's warm hand caressed her back, a simple gesture that made her feel safe when she was a child, it still has the same effect on her until now. She truly has a magic touch.

"Of course, child. I will always come to your aid." the woman glanced at Elizabeth's belly. "Are you certain you'll give birth on Harvest night?"

Elizabeth held her stomach protectively, "My sister Lucinda paid me a visit last month, with her was a letter from the Elders inviting me to attend the gathering but I left the Coven three years ago "

"Do you still remember those bedtime stories, Lizzy?" she asked in a whisper. If she could only change her niece's unborn child's fate. She would in a heartbeat.

Elizabeth glanced at her aunt's kind hazel green eyes and looked up at the bright full moon. The stories... Of course, every young witch knows about them. It was sort of a twisted entertainment when she was a little girl.

Once every two centuries a powerful witch is born at the night of Samhain where the veil between this world and the other world wears thin and old magic is at its apex. The Coven's magic came from the Ancestors and it is said that at her sixteenth birthday the Harvest witch must be sacrificed at a Reaping ritual to appease the Ancestors and in return they will strengthen the Coven's linked to their magic.

Then there was this place called the Haven, a special sanctuary created by the Ancestors where the spirit of dead witches resides. Where they could live peacefully and oftentimes they were able to communicate with the living especially on the night of Samhain. In some occasions there were rare fortunate witches who were favored by the Ancestors and were brought back to life. But the Harvest witch wouldn't experience that luxury, she wouldn't be brought back to life after the Reaping and her spirit wouldn't even inhabit at the Haven. For once she was sacrificed to the Ancestors, they will not only drain her magic but also her essence. It was a soul sacrifice. There's no afterlife it was as if she had never existed, like she was merely a vessel of power offered to the Ancestors to ensure the vitality of the Coven's magic for the next two centuries.

Elizabeth will never let that happen to her child, the Ancestors will surely punish her for defying them but she will go through hell to protect her child. And what else to do than ask for assistance from the most talented witch she knew.

Elizabeth firmly clasped her Aunt's calloused hands.

"You have to help me Aunt Marie." her voice laced with despair. "I know they will come for my child I have no one else to turn to."

She was not certain her Aunt would help her. Yes, she was family, like her, Aunt Marie left the Coven and settled in Scotland for almost a decade now. And who would want an army of witches, dead and alive, as enemies? Perhaps an expectant mother who would go through lengths to secure her unborn child's safety.

Aunt Marie squeezed Elizabeth's trembling hands. "Don't worry, dear. I have something in mind." from her cloak she produced an old thick book... a grimoire.
And not just any other grimoire, it was owned by her great great grandmother, Isobel, a former Elder and probably one of the most powerful. At that very moment Elizabeth understand that if she want to save her child she must transgress the Highest Law. Aunt Marie was aware of it too. After all, she presented her the book of forbidden spells.

The two women looked up at the bright full moon knowing that after the Harvest night everything will never be the same again.
____________________________

A/N: Hello everyone so I'm kinda new in Wattpad and if you happen to stumble upon my first story I would really appreciate some feedback... Thanks 😀