Steve Rogers- Never Forget ( a 9/11 tribute)

"Hey Steve, I'm home!" I announced walking in to the apartment from school. I looked around the apartment but did not hear a response from him. I decided to go out and just go for a walk as I assumed he was on a mission with the Avengers. I took my stroll around New York City, passing through Times Square. I found myself standing in front of the 9/11 memorial. My heart ached a bit, for today marked fifteen years since that horrid day. I was a year old then, and didn't know about it since I was eleven, but my heart still felt empathy and remorse for the lives lost that day. I see myself standing at the memorial, paying my respects then I look up and, to my surprise, I find Steve knelt down in front of some carved names. I walked up to him, for I could see that he had just found about this day.
    " Steve?" I say placing a hand on his tensed shoulder.
    " Did you know about this?" His voice cracks, shaking a little bit.
I took a deep breath then nodded. " Yes I did."
   " Why didn't you tell me?" His eyes looking up at him, his usual bright blue eyes faded into a stormy grey.
I could not find an answer at the moment.
   " Why didn't you tell me that this thing had happened?" He stood up facing me, his eyes steamy as he tried to keep his tears back.
  " I didn't want to tell you, because I know you take these events really personally. You blame yourself. For example the Paris attacks." I stated truthfully. " None of it was your fault Steven."
  " I should have been here. I should have been able to help that day..." He said, guilt swelling on him evidently.
   " Steve, you were not meant to be found until 2012, so therefore it wasn't your fault, besides you helped reduce this from happening by saving lives all over the world." I give him a small smile.
   " Bu-" he was about to protest but I cut him off
   " Steve, this event, none of us had the power to know when it could happen. We are just grateful that we had brave policemen and firemen who risked their lives to keep the numbers from going up." I stated.
He was silent, as I looked up at me, as I saw a break in these emotions he was holding back. An unstable breath was let out and a tear ran down his cheek. Even though he was not involved in the attacks, I still admired how he grieved for all these people he didn't know of. How he took credit for ever American life, it was the sign of true patriotism, and it was a quality that I loved about him. For his comfort, I pulled him towards me, embracing him in a hug which he needed. He accepted the embrace, as he strongly let out his emotions, the super soldier  grieving for the ones that perished. I then pulled back then looked up at him. I push away a few stray tears from his cheeks with my fingers. The slight puffiness in his eyes made his eyes glow sadly. I gave him a small smile as he did so in return.
   " Promise no more blaming yourself? This not a day meant to grieve, but to celebrate the fact that we still stand today as a powerful and free nation. And honor those who risked their lives to save their country."
  He looks down at the ground, contemplating on the thought, then he slowly nods. I give him another smile then I seal that frown with my lips, showing him my love for him. He slowly responded and welcomed the kiss. As I pulled away I kept my forehead on his.
He gives a nod, agreeing to my plea. " I will try." He says standing up and sheds a few more tears, and stands military style, saluting to the American flag. We went back to he apartment and stayed in each other's company, contemplating on this day fifteen years ago. We then went out for a stroll where the ceremony would take place in the 9/11 museum. During the ceremony, the trumpets played for the fallen citizens. People prayed and weeped for them. I held onto Steve's hand as he looked at the parts of the museum. He looks down at me with a smile then kisses my lips sweetly. He pulls away letting out the words, " Never forget September 11th, 2001"

*

*

*

In memory of the innocent. In memory of the lost. In memory of the loved. Never forget September 11th, 2001. God Bless America! 🇺🇸